1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about purchasing Panasonic 20mm lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Roark, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I am new to purchasing additional lenses for cameras and have been doing a lot of research on it; I have decided that for the kind of photos I want to take, the Panasonic 20mm lens will be ideal. However, I don't know how often prices fluctuate with camera equipment and would like to turn to those who are experienced in the market of camera equipment. The cheapest I have found is around $314 on J&H but as of now they are out of stock. I have seen this lens rise in price lately and would like some opinions on this purchase.

I was thinking of just ordering the lens from J&H and having them ship the lens when it becomes available in order to take advantage of the price. However, my instinct is telling me to wait till they have it in stock in case the price drops further on another site or the site itself. Then again, the price J&H has currently may rise and I may lose my window of opportunity at this price. What are your opinions? Should I jump the gun?

2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    $314 is a good price for the 20. Seems like most sites have it for $349.

3. cbrock

cbrock Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would be surprised to see the price of the lens go for any less than that unless you can find a used one. I can't recall seeing it any cheaper than that anywhere. I would say order it, as they will likely have it in stock soon and the price will likely go up.

4. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to jump the gun. Always good to know there are those who will reach out when someone doesn't know anything!

5. In Australia you would pay more than that for a used one.

6. Roark

Roark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That sucks Lucky. How much are the import dues for Australia?

7. The last few used examples I've seen sell on eBay went for close to $400, which is more than you could pay to ship a brand new lens from one of the US websites. We pay no import duty on items less than $1000. There's currently quite a lot of debate going on because more and more people are shopping for goods online from overseas. In some cases you might pay up to twice as much to buy the same item brand new from a retail shop here.