question about panning with OMD IBIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by uci2ci, Jul 2, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Ive noticed that when shooting video using a long lens (around 150) and handheld panning, the image shifts back and forth when the panning stops and then the images starts to stabilize again after a couple of seconds. Its seems as if there is a lag between when you stop panning and IBIS kicks in again (using any of the IS modes). Has anyone noticed this?

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Try using IS Mode 2.

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Same thing using 2

You got the same zoom lens as me .....the 45-175.... you mind trying it.

Just put it on 175 and pan quiet a bit of distance left or right, and stop. If mine is not faulty, then the image should jerk left to right a bit and then fully stabilize again

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Are we talking about the rubber band effect? When you stop panning, the image in the display keeps moving very briefly?

If so, mine only does this while panning left-to-right when in IS mode 1. When I switch the IS mode 2, this only happens when moving the camera up or down.

5. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I guess thats what its called.

The image jerks back and forth, sort of like being on a rubber band as you said. Lasts for a few seconds. But it does it even on IS 2 for me on long focal length and when panning left or right across a few frames.

6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Strange...the only rubber band effect I get in IS2 is from my own movements. Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm.

7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Here is a sample video in IBIS 2

P7020106 - YouTube

And here is one in IBIS 1

P7020107 - YouTube

I don't see a difference. Notice the jerky movement when panning stops, and then goes away after a few seconds. It is from my hand, true, but its as though IBIS doesnt engage fast enough after panning to compensate for my hands shaking. Or it might be OIS in the lens, I don't know. Or I might just have bad technique and expecting too much from IBIS *embarrassed*

Its does a wonderful job without panning though

Again, this only occurs with longs zooms.
    The buzzing sound is from the IBIS system btw.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Heres another one that shows it a bit better since the panning distance is greater

P7020102 - YouTube

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I think your hands are shaky (as are mine), and if you want smooth panning you have to use a tripod at longer focal lengths.

I'm not a panning pro by any means...but your camera behaves the same way mine does, so you don't have to worry about that.

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Thank you

Thank you Dane for verifying it for me.

11. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I guess I would ask the question, why have ibis on during panning to begin with if your trying to grt background blur???

The panning would result in such a large movement by the shooter that the ibis would prob cause more harm then good. Have u tried it on and off multiple times to see if even helps any in your shooting ability???

Stabilization is really nice for very very to have for small movements but shouldnt been seen as a way to deal with bad technique. If your attending an event and plan on doing a lot of panning, I'd go with the string washer bolt rig myself.

12. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I was scratching my head when I read "string washer bolt rig" but then I saw a video of it on and its pretty nifty :biggrin: :cool:

No, disabling IBIS at such a long focal length doesn't make things better for me at all. IBIS DOES work wonders, even if you do pan, just not at very long focal lengths. I was videoing some birds when I noticed this excessive shaking when panning. As both Dane and you suggested, I was using bad technique, and worked the IBIS to its limits. I suppose Ideally i should zoom out, pan, and then zoom in to see where im actually heading with the pan anyways, right? Better yet, have a tripod.

Im gonna have to try the string washer bolt rig soon though :thumbup:

13. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I didn't quite take into account the 150 focal length ;-) and also.. the IBIS on my EP2 wouldn't help but yeah, I guess the OM-D's 5axis might be usable for a long range panning.

You should post IBIS On and IBIS Off versions at 150.. I would very much like to see how much the 5-axis helps in panning. Even better, if you could add the string washer both and make it a 4-way test.