Question about Panasonic 25mm f1.4 focusing sound

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ean10775, Feb 11, 2015.

1. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I finally purchased a used copy of the Panasonic 25mm though I had tested a different copy of lens once a little while ago. The copy I now have makes a distinct sound when focusing on my G6 and I'm wondering if it's normal.

It isn't the 'rattlesnaking' caused by the aperture blades opening and closing that so many people mention, but rather the sound of the elements shifting back and forth while the lens focusing. The sound is exacerbated when the hood is mounted, but its definitely noticeable whether the hood is mounted or not and is certainly picked up during video recording. I thought that I had remembered this lens being nearly silent during focusing so I was surprised.

The lens seems to focus fairly quickly and accurately, although I do notice just the slightest bit of play in the focus ring from front to back if its purposefully wiggled that way. In your experience would you say this is normal? I purchased the lens from KEH so I can return it if there is an issue, which I why I figured I'd ask. Thanks.