question about OMD triggering wireless flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shanghaishots, Jun 28, 2012.

1. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    hi everybody,

relatively new to photography/micro 4/3rds so please bear with me -- haven't been able to find this anywhere but was wondering if you can fire a slaved flash unit (in my case a nissin di466) without having the OMD's clip-on flash using up the hotshoe... i ask because if i am able to upgrade to the OMD, i'd like to have the VF2 attached to hot shoe (i'm pretty sure i read the VF2 is compatible, right?! or am i just stark raving mad?) because i really like using a tiltable viewfinder at 90 degrees.

the reason i ask is because i do a lot of nightlife photography and need to be able to fire an external flash and this works well in my EP3 set up - VF2 on, the built-in flash unit can pop up and fire with the di466 slaved to it = presto!

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Without the clip-on flash there's no way to trigger the slave flash since it's optically slaved. You could use a TTL cord but then you won't be able to attach the VF2.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You can trigger flashes with a radio slave, but it too would be sitting in te hotshoe.

What you can do for nightlife photography is use the OMD's tilt screen as the viewfinder.

Unlike the E-1/3/5 cameras there is no PC sync connector for external flash on the OMD.

4. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    thanks a lot jmw and mikefellh - the info is much appreciated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.