question about OMD triggering wireless flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shanghaishots, Jun 28, 2012.

1. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    hi everybody,

relatively new to photography/micro 4/3rds so please bear with me -- haven't been able to find this anywhere but was wondering if you can fire a slaved flash unit (in my case a nissin di466) without having the OMD's clip-on flash using up the hotshoe... i ask because if i am able to upgrade to the OMD, i'd like to have the VF2 attached to hot shoe (i'm pretty sure i read the VF2 is compatible, right?! or am i just stark raving mad?) because i really like using a tiltable viewfinder at 90 degrees.

the reason i ask is because i do a lot of nightlife photography and need to be able to fire an external flash and this works well in my EP3 set up - VF2 on, the built-in flash unit can pop up and fire with the di466 slaved to it = presto!

any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. jmw

jmw Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Without the clip-on flash there's no way to trigger the slave flash since it's optically slaved. You could use a TTL cord but then you won't be able to attach the VF2.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You can trigger flashes with a radio slave, but it too would be sitting in te hotshoe.

What you can do for nightlife photography is use the OMD's tilt screen as the viewfinder.

Unlike the E-1/3/5 cameras there is no PC sync connector for external flash on the OMD.

4. shanghaishots

shanghaishots Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    new york/shanghai
    thanks a lot jmw and mikefellh - the info is much appreciated!