Question about Oly E-M5 Mode dial

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by popcan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. popcan

popcan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Hello all; I hope some of you experienced Olympus users can answer a question for me.
    I just took delivery of a used EM5 body, and the mode dial seems wobbly. I can press lightly on the back edge of it and it will wiggle a fair bit. Is this normal? I am concerned it may fail or fall off eventually. In all other respects this camera seems in mint condition.
    Thanks for your opinion!

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Relax! That's normal. One of the criticisms of the E-M5 was the squishy buttons & that also extends to the dials as well I guess. One would assume that the free movement may protect against bumps perhaps or that the movement is due to rubber mounting for weather sealing purposes, but nevertheless, there is that movement in it, so enjoy & Happy New Year.

3. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    Mine is rock solid.
    I would think there's something wrong with it on your camera @popcan@popcan

4. popcan

popcan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    hmmmm.... need some more votes here, so I can decide if I should return this body. Got it from Japan and I'm in vancouver, so it's not cheap to send back

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would not call the mode dials on either of my E-M5's wobbly.

--Ken

6. Ross the fiddler

Maybe you both might go back & try rocking the dials on your E-M5 again. I think you'll find there is some movement, unless you both have later releases (post cracked bezel issue) with updated dials as mine is an early model & it is fine with that flexing movement.

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Hi Ross,

I have two used bodies and both have been in for service after purchasing. As the dial does not sit flush against the top plate, there is a small bit of movement if you push down on the back side of the dial, but I personally would not call that wobble. so, I guess it depends on how much movement the OP is seeing, and how much is considered acceptable.

--Ken

8. Ross the fiddler

That sounds about right, but it isn't solid like the E-M1 Mode dial is, although it's function dials do flex a little. I think they have a rubber mounting perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Sure is!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    OK so I'll retract a bit of my statement. They do move a bit but nowhere near an amount that I think anyone would be concerned about.
    I guess how much is too much is going to be really subjective.

@popcan@popcan maybe take a cell phone video to show how much it is moving?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  11. popcan

popcan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    I'll try... Do I post vids the same way as pics?

Error, says my vid does not have an allowed extension

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016