Question about old Nikon/Nikkor mounts and micro 4/3 adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by digital_grrl79, Sep 19, 2014.

1. digital_grrl79

digital_grrl79 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Hi all :] I bought a few old Nikon lenses and am waiting on my new Nikon adapter to arrive before I can test them out on my EM-5. I'm worried that the lenses I have bought will not work with the adapter so I'm hoping someone has some insights for me :]

The lenses say Nikkor-S or Nikkor-SC and the adapter say F mount. I am worried because I have my dad's old Nikon EM and I tried the Nikkor-S 1.2 on it and it didn't fit very well.

Lens #1:
    Lens #2:
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    These are most likely non-AI lenses (which were never AI-converted), and I believe that the EM did not accept non-AI lenses. I suspect that your adapter should accept them.

Good luck,

• Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I agree with Ken - the F mount comes in many flavours but from an adaptor perspective there are only two things to look out for

- a basic F adaptor will work with AI/non-AI and all subsequent modern F-mount lenses
    - a F adaptor which can change aperture for modern 'G' F-mount lenses (which have no manual aperture ring); a 'G' will work with a basic F adaptor but you won't have aperture control

For the lenses you're looking at a basic F adaptor should be fine.

Of course, if you have a Nikon camera then things get more complicated as the F mount is universal but various AI/non-AI/AF-drive/G support factors come into play on the camera body.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. digital_grrl79

digital_grrl79 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks so much! So it sounds like I should not judge the fit for the incoming adapter based on the Nikon EM body that I have handy here. That makes me feel a LOT better if I'm understanding your responses correctly.
  5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL

There are 4 classes of Nikkor F-mount lenses are far as adapters to m43 are concerned.

1. The original F-mount lenses released in 1959 with the F and made until about 1961
    2. The 1961 & later non-AI F-mount lenses (many can/could be modified to act like group #3 lenses)
    3. The Ai, Ai-s, Ai-p, and various non-G-series AF variants that have f/stop rings
    4. The G-series AF lenses that lack f/stop rings.

The issue with adapters and the #1 and #2 groups has to do the the f/stop ring's overhang. These lenses have an f/stop ring that overhangs the body flange. Group #1 has a very deep ~3-3,5mm overhang and won't even fit the mid-'60s vintage Nikkormat bodies. It is this overhang that prevents group #1 and group #2 from mounting on AI bodies, lke the EM, that don't have a provision for flipping up the Ai coupling tab. Even thouse bodies that do have the flipup tab can't handle unmodified group #1 lenses. Group #2 has a smaller ~1.5-2mm overhang. The group #1 lenses could very likely have mounting problems on some adapters when the adapter's flange is thin and the body of the adapter is larger in diameter than the flange. Problems can occur with group #2 lenses as well.
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I should also add, If you're pretty good with a file, and not afraid to hack up an older Nikon lens, just about any F-mount lens can be modified to fit bodies and/or adapters that are really meant to accept only Ai and AiS lenses.

I used to home-Ai adapt several older F-mount optics that I got for dirt cheap on ebay - and I've never not been able to make them fit. That being said, it may not do much for the resale value of these lenses.
  7. tetakpatak

tetakpatak Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    @digital_grrl79 the lenses you desired to buy will perfectly fit to the adapter from your first link.

All Nikon lenses (except really old RF lenses) are F-mount, so as @dwig wrote you: just the recent G (gelded) lenses would need another adapter, that has an aperture control ring, although the mount has also just the same size.