Question about off-camera flash use-

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey guys, the Oly FL600L arrived today and I can confirm it works great wirelessly with the Panasonic GH3.

Question, I tested the Oly flash by using the GH3 on board flash as a commander and set it NOT to fire as the off-camera Oly flash would be the sole light source.....in doing so I noticed the on-board flash still fires some pulses but doesn't seem to factor into the exposure, is this normal? Is that the method of communication it uses to control the off camera flash?

I've only used triggers so using a commander is new to me and I was wondering if these flashes were a communications protocol for wireless use?

Thanks guys-

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes. It is an optical system and uses light pulses to transmit operating codes.

3. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Amazing technology, really liking the small form factor as opposed to full dslr rigs.......the writing is on the wall for dslrs for the masses!
    This wireless flash capability really puts the camera in contention for studio use.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Non-Reflex cameras are ideal for studio use. I am a full-time studio photographer, and switching to non-reflex in the studio is one of the best moves I've ever made. I can work tirelessly all day with the lighter body and can easily maneuver my camera into all kinds of awkward angles and positions being free from the eye-level finder. I am a commercial photographer and shoot a lot of products as well as models. My needs are constantly changing, and the non-reflex system keeps up with those rapid changes better than any other system I've had.

Your FL-600R by the way, can also operate as a dumb slave (SL mode), which can be triggered manually off any flash from any system or studio strobes.