1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about noise/sharpness with EM5 MK2 and Pro 12-40 lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Markv77, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Markv77

Markv77 New to Mu-43

Oct 24, 2015
    Hi all,

I'm new to MFT cameras. Used a Canon 60D prior to this. I picked up a EM5 Mk2 with the Pro 12-40 F2.8 lens. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the quality and reduced size. Portraits and even macro shots are really great with this combo. I had planned to get a fast prime as well, but this 12-40 lens does amazing bokeh. I may skip a prime for a while.

That said, I took a picture of the back of a house and it's pretty blurry. The roof shingles are really blurry. I don't know why. I shot it at iso 200, f9, 1/165. I could have gone a little faster in shutter, but still felt this was really noisey. I used the single autofocus, IBIS set to S-IS1. I took several shots, even resting it on a stationary table for some. They were all similar. What am I doing wrong? I'll try to upload the picture.
    MVDW0006.JPG

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Have RAW, we will try to help.

3. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    It isn't tack sharp (which could be any number of issues), but unless I blow it up/pixel peep, it doesn't look all that bad to me, especially by way of noise. Do you think you might be pixel peeping?

Is it RAW? HDR might have helped. Hi Rez mode probably would have been perfect for this shot, if you had some way to stabilize the camera. Keystoning would have straightened the sides (not that you asked that).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It looks sharp. I think your eye may be confused by the moire effect of the roof tiles. Have a look at the chimney at 100%.

5. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Also, at f/9 you are verging into diffraction territory.

Don't forget that crop factor has an effect on these physics limited things too.

6. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Yup. Try it at f/4 or f/5.6.

7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    One thought came to my mind...

Did you turn on "Anti-shock" in your settings (0sec Anti-Shock) and then select the drive mode with a diamond sign in front? Diamond sign means you are using EFCS (electronic first curtain shutter). Upon close examination of your photo, it seems the blur is reminiscent of my issues with my E-P5 before it had the new firmware with the anti-shock on. In your case, 1/200sec is "IN" the shutter shock danger zone. Anything below 1/320sec will be susceptible to shutter shock. I don't think the E-M5 II has anti-shock turned on? Better check on it.. I hope it is this simple..

8. Markv77

Markv77 New to Mu-43

Oct 24, 2015
    Thank you for the advice so far. I will try a different aperture like F4 or F5.6. Regarding antishock and EFCS, just so I understand, I want antishock on and choose the EFCS right? Not the opposite? Sorry, I'm new to this.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    When you set the camera to 0 sec. delay the camera uses EFCS uses up to, and including, 1/320 sec.

10. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Please download your E-M5 Mark II manual in PDF format.

Look up page 95; this will help you turn on Anti-shock to on
    Look up page 57-58; this will tell you which drive mode you want to be in. Unlike the older models, E-M5 II anti-shock is available in sequential low shooting mode only rather than single mode.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015