1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Question about Nikon teleconverters.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Phocal, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Never thought about it until someone mentioned it on one of my photos, so now I am thinking about getting one. All my legacy glass is Canon that I have from my film days and I am unfamiliar with Nikon (have never used Nikon). When I got my Fuji X-E1 I wanted a 1:1 macro and ended up getting a Lester Dine in Nikon mount. The two teleconverters I have found are the TC-200 and TC-201, with the 201 being for AiS lenses. I really don't know the difference between Ai and AiS and not sure how that would relate to using it adapted to the E-M5. Anyone able to explain what the difference is between Ai and AiS as it relates to adapting the lenses to another system and if there is any difference in the optics between the 200 and 201. I would greatly appreciate it.

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    There is absolutely no difference between Ai and Ai-s when it comes to adapting lenses to other mounts when the adapters don't translate any of the lens' meter coupling and auto diaphram functions (e.g. adapting to m43, Fuji-X...). The difference only impacts Nikon bodies that support mechanically coupled Shutter Priority and Program exposure modes and involves the addition of a tab signaling the lens' maximum aperture in addition to the releative-aperture tab shared with Ai lenses along with the standard auito-diaphram stopdown pin common to all Auto Nikkors since 1959.

If memory holds, there is no optical difference between the TC-200 and the TC-201.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you for the detailed explanation, was just what I was looking for. There is a difference in price, with the 201 being more expensive. Nice to know I can get the cheaper of the two and be good.

4. Screamin Scott

Screamin Scott Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Atlanta Ga. Metro

If you haven't used it already, you will love that Dine lens. I have had one for years (Nikon mount) & most of the macros in my Flickr stream are with that lens. I also use the Dine ring/point light (Sunpack version) with it. I got them from my Father-In-Law (a retired Dentist)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I have been using the Dine for about a year now. Got it to use on my Fuji X-E1 and now using it on my E-M5. All but one of the macro shots in my stream are from the Dine, the other being from the lens I got with my E-M5. Unfortunately I can not use the ring light on my copy. The end of it has a dent making the threads useless. When I had my Canon 7D I had my brother (he is a welder and fabricator) make me a bracket that I could attach my flash to using an off-camera cord and it worked great for macro shots. Was living in Florida when I had the X-E1, but now that I am back in Texas going to have him make me one for the E-M5.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prehensile-pollex/sets/72157633299960677/