Question about magnify button and moving green box

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Why is it when I resize the green box, and try to move it around with the cursor keys sometimes it will move with each click and other times it refused to move as I click?

My focus mode is S-AF.

Isabel

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is this on an Oly or a Pana ?

I know on the Oly the green box changes depending on the mode you're in (it either moves so you can tune focus somewhere other than the centre or the zoom factor changes x7 or x10).

Cheers,
Raj.

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's an E-PL1 Oly

I've discovered that if I keep holding in the magnify key it will move, but it's still awfully sluggish.

I'm usually in Aperture or Shutter Priority, unless I'm using external flash.

Isabel

Is this on an Oly or a Pana ?

I know on the Oly the green box changes depending on the mode you're in (it either moves so you can tune focus somewhere other than the centre or the zoom factor changes x7 or x10).

Cheers,
Raj.

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Why is it when I resize the green box, and try to move it around with the cursor keys sometimes it will move with each click and other times it refused to move as I click?

My focus mode is S-AF.

Isabel
Isabel click on the info button to display shooting settings then it should be ok
Presume you have resized the box down to the smallest
If so when you toggle info to display on 14x in the lh corner you can move the box

Does that help

The oly menus can be tricky

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Actually - how do you resize the zoom box.

I always find that getting really sharp images with an adapted lens is a bit hit or miss (particularly when I compare my pics with some of the great stuff on this site).

What strategies do people have for obtaining sharp zooms on adapted lenses ?

Cheers,
Raj.

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
Same here - not getting the sharpness I'd like with legacy glass - OM lenses.

Actually - how do you resize the zoom box.

I always find that getting really sharp images with an adapted lens is a bit hit or miss (particularly when I compare my pics with some of the great stuff on this site).

Cheers,
Raj.

Brianetta

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Ronald
Open the aperture as wide as it will go. My 50mm, when at f/1.7, has such a narrow depth of field that I can see where the focus lies, utterly precisely, without zooming in. I mean, to the point where zooming in is of absolutely no practical benefit. So, instead of zooming in, I open up the iris, focus, then stop it back down.

After I got this lens, but before getting the K mount adapter I needed to actually use it, I tried practising manual focus using the kit zoom. It was hopeless; zoom was necessary. I wasn't looking forward to a manual focus lens at all. Once I used it, though, my opinion changed. It's all about depth of field; a fast lens makes focusing a breeze.

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for that very useful tip.

Open the aperture as wide as it will go. My 50mm, when at f/1.7, has such a narrow depth of field that I can see where the focus lies, utterly precisely, without zooming in. I mean, to the point where zooming in is of absolutely no practical benefit. So, instead of zooming in, I open up the iris, focus, then stop it back down.

After I got this lens, but before getting the K mount adapter I needed to actually use it, I tried practising manual focus using the kit zoom. It was hopeless; zoom was necessary. I wasn't looking forward to a manual focus lens at all. Once I used it, though, my opinion changed. It's all about depth of field; a fast lens makes focusing a breeze.

isabel95

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I can move the box...

In less than 14X magnification but it is very sluggish. Sometimes it moves with a click, sometimes it doesn't. If I hold it down it will continue to move, but too slowly to catch a target that might move. I still feel it's probably faster to use a centered focus box, move it over the subject, lock focus, and then recompose.

Isabel

Isabel click on the info button to display shooting settings then it should be ok
Presume you have resized the box down to the smallest
If so when you toggle info to display on 14x in the lh corner you can move the box

Does that help

The oly menus can be tricky

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom