Question about Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by inuini2005, Feb 14, 2013.

1. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Interested in getting the Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro for my 5DIII and wonder what effect would it have if I mount it in my OMD? How does it affect the macro ability? Will it become a 200mm Macro? Thanks :)

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Kinda, sorta but not really. It's still a 100mm lens but the smaller sensor will halve the angle of view. so in effect becomes a 2x macro rather than life size and it will have the approximate angle of view of a 200mm lens in 135 format. There are DOF changes as well but at macro distances it's just a tiny DOF vs a really tiny DOF. The biggest issues issue is trying to get the thing to stop down which is a PITA.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    So that means, it will not be 1:1?

Say if I can take a shot of a whole flower with a full frame DSLR, same position on the OMD, I could only see part of the flower? But then the Macro ability is still the same? Or could I get "closer" to the flower? Sorry for not having much knowledge about Macro :)

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't worry, it's not your lack of knowledge... when talking macro people tend to get way too technical about it which confuses new people.

The lens will still be 1:1, meaning life-size capture in relation to the size of the sensor. However, the smaller sensor means that 1:1 is framing a smaller portion of your subject. 1:1 on FF will produce a different image than 1:1 on FT.

Your distance to subject will not change, but your field of view will change. Your image will appear to have "greater magnification" if you're comparing image to image and ignoring all the technical details about what's going on in the camera to make that happen.

For instance, if you could capture this image with a Full Frame:
    sensor-size_comparison.

Then you would capture this image from the same focus distance using the same lens and focal length on a Four-Thirds sensor:
    sensor-size_four-thirds.

So if you consider that "better macro capability" (as I would), then that's what you get. Like flash said, it "in effect becomes a 2x macro"

• Like Like x 3
  5. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks Ned and flash for the detailed explanation! Query cleared :)