Question about lighting setup

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by aonavy, Mar 22, 2013.

1. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    Hello,
    I have a question about an event I'm shooting next week. This involves the governor and want to make sure i do this well. Ill be shooting with a GH3 with an assortment of lens.

Here is the layout of the grounds: (all should be decently lit)
    -Speeches in 1 room
    -dinner and more speeches in another. (this is the main room for the event)

My question is should I use off camera flashes for this event or should I just use one flash with the camera?

I have 2 flashes I can put on stands but not sure if that will be best.

Its kinda hard to explain, so please ask questions. Id like all the help I can get.

Thank you in advanced

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    You should not use any arrangement or equipment with which you do not have hands-on experience, period.

A lot would have to be known about the nature of the rooms (ceiling height & color, location of window if any, available floor space, ...) to decide whether additional lighting would help or hurt. After all, each additional light adds a set of shadows and a set of reflections. If you have experience with multiple light setups (something I question since you are asking here) then I would say you should take them along and be prepared to use them, but also be prepared not to.

If you can set them up safely in advance and do a few test shots you'll be better informed as to whether they help or hurt.

3. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    good reply.

Im familiar with multi-flash setups in portraits but never used them for and event. I guess it does depend on the space it self.

You brought some light, no pun intended, on this for me. :)

Thanks.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, go with the multi-light setup if you want to do a proper job of it. Make sure you have good softboxes, umbrellas, or whatever diffusers you choose to use on them.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Something else that may clarify what you have to do is making sure you understand your clients brief - what photos are they expecting you to deliver...group shots big and small, award presentations, formal portraits, everyone shaking hands with the governor?..when are you going to have the opportunity to take these shots... before the dinner, after....how long will you have to take the shots...and indeed how are they to be used... in print, on the web, billboards.....

These are all factors that may influence your choices

K

6. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    I have a list of what they for photos.

I think I know where im going with this even.

Thanks for the insight of this.

7. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    If this is a PR type of shoot, with a large crowd and lots of activity, I would keep it as simple as possible and avoid setting up lights which could get knocked down or interfere.

It all comes down to the layout of the room as well, and how much time you have for setup as well.

The Gh3 is great at high ISO's and a small amount of fill flash may be all you need to lift the shadows and retain the ambient light.

On the otherhand, if the lighting is decent with a spotlight on the speaker(s), you may not need any additional lighting. If it's all overhead lighting, you will get raccoon eyes if you don't fill in the shadows, but again, that may be all you need is to use a little fill.

8. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    Perfect!

Thanks for the post. very helpful!

9. aonavy

aonavy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2012
    Epping NH
    George
    so heres the outcome:

****ty!!

First off, the room where people were hanging out before dinner, the ceiling was was an open/closed concept and black. I tried to bounce the flash but it created some weird shadows because the ceiling wasnt level. (hope that make sense)

2nd: The gym had Huge high ceilings and my strobes were not going to reach. I decided to go direct but the background was blackening out and and it was also casting harsh shadows. Also the lighting was different in some places then others.

I said screw it, it whipped out the 20mm 1.7. There was also video and a TV crew there. I don't think them or the old people would have liked the flashes going off every few minutes.

The pictures came okay. Not sharp at all but they were happy. heres the gallery:

Boys and Girls Club YOY - BrowniePics Photography