Question about lens weatherproofing . . .

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by spdavies, May 17, 2017.

1. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I recently acquired the M.Zuiko 14-150 weatherproof lens.
    I was out shooting with it when it started to rain
    and I thought "Great! money well spent . . ."
    And then, I started to adjust the zoom for a shot
    and I saw the soaking wet inner tube slide into the lens housing.

Does anyone know or understand how a zoom lens can be weatherproof
    when you are sliding water in and out of the lens body while it's in use?

Inquiring (and concerned) minds want to know . . .
    Thanks.

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
  3. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Thank you, SVQuant, I just saw your reply.
    I had forgotten about that thread and there is certainly good information there.
    However, none of the info about seals, etc. clarifies for me how the moisture on an extended lens barrel is removed when the lens is retracted.
    I have tried to dry off the barrel extension before retracting the lens and it is difficult to get it dry.
    I don't see how sliding past an O-ring would remove it all - the major water drops , yes, but the remaining moisture, I don't know.
    And once the moisture is inside, it would be hard for it to evaporate out because of the same seals.
    My concern about this is about mold - I have had several nice Nikon lenses ruined by mold - thankfully, no m4/3 lenses yet.
    Anyway, I believe that the information we have is probably all we are going to get
    and I'll just have to hope the marketing hype is at least somewhat true.
    Thanks again for replying. :)

4. Impulse

Impulse Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Frank
    It can't, no lens is really weather 'proof', they're weather resistant... ;) I imagine there's multiple seals, maybe some kinda water trap along the way, and they're relying on self venting getting the moisture out etc; but it's probably a good idea not to pump that barrel in when it's really soaked.

Even if you manage not to introduce any droplets thru the zoom action, you're still pumping moist air in and out of the lens whenever ya zoom, the more it extends the more air is displaced... No lens is a vacuum.

This is why I like designs like the 35-100/40-150 & 8-18 (front element moves but a filter can be fit in front of it), no barrel extension is bound to limit the risks. If you're really worried about it with your 14-150 and you often use it in the rain it'd be a good idea to store it with some kinda desiccant solution.

I like Eva-Dry's little boxes because I can just plug them into an outlet ever so often to warm up the desiccant inside and release any captured moisture, Amazon sells them.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1