Question About In-Camera Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Sep 5, 2012.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Using an E-M5 (and not sure whether that matters....) ---- After a long exposure, in-camera Noise Reduction kicks in, effectively doubling the length of the exposure. While the camera is doing it's NR thing, is it OK to move the camera to set up the next shot, or will that ruin the image?

In other words, if the shutter was open for 60 seconds, and now the camera is doing it's noise reduction during the following 60 seconds, is it OK to move the camera during that second 60 seconds?

2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    All that the camera is doing is taking a dark image, basically of the back of the (closed) shutter. I don't see that moving the camera during this time would cause a problem, but I've never tried it myself.
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Yes, it okay to physically move it, but you're effectively locked out of doing anything electronically until it's finished and saves the file.
  4. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Thanks, Guys!
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    Panasonic does the same however it's optional, and it's OK to move it.
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    The only time I found moving the camera where it affected the storage was when I was doing long exposures on an E520 (& I think I was storing JPEG & RAW) & during that time I changed its aspect position (from landscape to portrait) & it stored it in that different aspect. That would be the only thing to consider.