1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Question about highlights/ghosting

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by dulaney22, Sep 15, 2010.

1. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I'm not sure if I know the correct term, but in some of my pictures with a skyline view (like trees meeting the sky or other objects), I've noticed that I get an outline/ghosting when upping the highlights in Aperture 3 (trying to bring reduce the hot skyline). I've attached an example from last night at soccer practice. I was using a Pentax 50/1.4 for this. Just wondering what it is and how to correct it.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dulaney22/4991858866/" title="Serious Business by dulaney22, on Flickr"> View attachment 150167 "1024" height="768" alt="Serious Business" /></a>

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It looks like you brought the highlights down too much.
    Maybe try reducing exposure a little then adjust the brightness to bring in the tones.
    This is easier in LR than Aperture.
    You could also adjust your tone curve...

3. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    To me, that generally indicates too much PP. I mean, the sky *IS* bright, right? I think that, as photographers, sometimes we try to do too much to make an image technically perfect. Even though it's not necessary a lot of the time.

Or maybe it's just me. :smile:

4. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Thanks for the tips guys. I downloaded a trial of Lightroom and yes it's a lot easier. I haven't bought either yet, but I'm really liking it so far. I did a little more work and think it looks better now. Any additional tips are appreciated. I am very new to this and don't really know much about editing software. I am in the process of watching the lynda series and think it's pretty good.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dulaney22/4993776911/" title="P9142332.jpg by dulaney22, on Flickr"> View attachment 150172 "1024" height="768" alt="P9142332.jpg" /></a>

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    See, LR is making your work easier.
    There are many free vids around.
    Check out Adobe TV. Plenty to get you going.

Between you and I, the above problem was due to ...
    tired pixels..... tired because they were overworked.
    Your on your way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.