Question about GX85 Long Exposures

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Real Name
Stu
As I understand it there is no possibility of using a cable shutter release with the GX85.
I find the Pana phone app to be unusable.
So I'm left with the option of using the 'T' timer option.
If I use ND filters I can calculate the exposure time with a different app...so no problems there.
So, my question:
If I'm left with the only option of using the shutter button to start and end the exposure [camera on tripod of course]....will the slight shake from operating the shutter have any effect on the image if using a 20-40second exposure?
It seems to me it shouldn't....as it's just fraction of the total exposure time....for example I could walk in front of a 40-50 second exposure and probably not register on the image?

John M Flores

Super Moderator
You can use the timer (2 or 10 seconds) to let the camera and support settle down before beginning the exposure.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Real Name
Stu
Thanks John, yes, but I was also thinking about hitting the shutter to turn the timer off.
What I'm wondering about though...... if its a long exposure would the bit of camera shake either end actually matter?

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Thanks John, yes, but I was also thinking about hitting the shutter to turn the timer off.
What I'm wondering about though...... if its a long exposure would the bit of camera shake either end actually matter?
Depends on much you pixel peep ;)

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
Not as it is.
The inlet ports consist of two mini USBs for HDMI and charging.
From the checking I did it just isn't possible with a wired release.
Ah yes, just looked. Thanks!
That's too bad. I have a wired remote that works with my other Panasonics, glad I found out before I needed it.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I have always heard that what you are thinking is correct - it won't matter on very long exposures.

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I have not had any problems with the Panasonic Phone apt using it with my G9...works very well.

Neon Birding

Mu-43 Veteran
As I understand it there is no possibility of using a cable shutter release with the GX85.
I find the Pana phone app to be unusable.
So I'm left with the option of using the 'T' timer option.
If I use ND filters I can calculate the exposure time with a different app...so no problems there.
So, my question:
If I'm left with the only option of using the shutter button to start and end the exposure [camera on tripod of course]....will the slight shake from operating the shutter have any effect on the image if using a 20-40second exposure?
It seems to me it shouldn't....as it's just fraction of the total exposure time....for example I could walk in front of a 40-50 second exposure and probably not register on the image?

If you're using Apple, a lot of people have problems with the Panasonic Image App. One option is test out a Android or Samsung tablet. They are pretty cheap, and works great with the Panasonic Image App.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Glad to hear it works for you!
But as I mentioned, not so for me.
Totally hit or miss......mostly miss and not the thing I want to be wrestling with on a pre-dawn beach somewhere! :cautious:

If you haven't already, make sure that you have the latest version of the app. Newer Android versions are much improved at establishing a connection, using a combination of Bluetooth and Wifi to negotiate and connect.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
Real Name
Stu
If you haven't already, make sure that you have the latest version of the app. Newer Android versions are much improved at establishing a connection, using a combination of Bluetooth and Wifi to negotiate and connect.
Thanks again John and to everybody.
I'm using a Nokia 7.2 running Android 10, so I'm pretty much up to date and have the latest Pana app.
I tried the app again this morning, with the usual frustrating results.
The bottom line for me is that I'm happier not using the app if I can get away with it.
The only time it would be useful for me is with extra long exposures, say, 60 seconds plus, in which case it looks as if a bit of shutter vibration isn't going to matter too much anyway.

Latest threads

Top Bottom