Question about GX8 / G7 Dial Operation Switch Setup "assigned temporarily" meaning

Oruf

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi,

I have a question concerning the dual dial operation switch on the panasonic GX8 (g7 seems to be the same). The GX8 manual PDF (p.51), [Dial Operation Switch Setup] says :

Sets the items to be assigned temporarily to the front/rear dials when you press the function button to which [Dial Operation Switch] is assigned.

What temporarily means ? Until the next shot ? Until a mode change, until I go in the menus, until I off/on the camera ? Until I click again the function switch ?

Big thanks by advance for the reponses.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Until you press/half-press the shutter button or that button again. Either will take you back to normal dial function.

Oruf

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks.

So there is no way to "permanently" have ISO sensibility on a dial without having to push a button after each shot, really ? What a bummer. I really don't get the two dials / one function thing for A or S mode (3 dials / 2 functions if I count the EC dial).

I also understand that the exposure compensation dial is not active when M mode is set to Auto-Iso. And that there is no custom minimum shutter speed in A mode.

These are the 3 functions I want to upgrade my camera. Or at least one of them. So I guess I'll have to wait for a fix by firmware update before buy the GX8.

Last edited:

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thats one of the few complaints I have so far about the camera, is that the dials have the same function in Aperture/SS mode... But I just got the camera last week, so I'm still learning all the settings. I'll let you know if I find a work around for it, or even better Panasonic fixes it with a firmware patch.

tesilab

New to Mu-43
Thanks.

So there is no way to "permanently" have ISO sensibility on a dial... Have to push a button after each shot, really ? What a bummer. I really don't get the two dials / one function thing for A or S mode (3 dials / 2 functions if I count the EC dial).

I also understand that the exposure compensation dial is not active when M mode is set to Auto-Iso. And that there is no custom minimum shutter speed in A mode.

These are the 3 functions I want to upgrade my camera. Or at least one of them. So I guess I'll have to wait for a fix by firmware update before buy the GX8.
How would you propose this alternate dial assignment work? There are multiple modes to account for, even though you may not use all of them. Let's say you assign the aperture with the front dial and shutter speed with the rear. In manual, very good. Now in aperture priority the rear dial is available, and in shutter priority the front dial is a available. Or let's say you want the rear dial to have the mode's "primary" function (shutter or aperture or program shift), so now what do you want to happen when you switch to manual? Do you see that sometimes making something a little more customizable could make it a lot more confusing, or at least too complicated to setup or display what it does?

Oruf

Mu-43 Rookie
How would you propose this alternate dial assignment work? There are multiple modes to account for, even though you may not use all of them. Let's say you assign the aperture with the front dial and shutter speed with the rear. In manual, very good. Now in aperture priority the rear dial is available, and in shutter priority the front dial is a available. Or let's say you want the rear dial to have the mode's "primary" function (shutter or aperture or program shift), so now what do you want to happen when you switch to manual? Do you see that sometimes making something a little more customizable could make it a lot more confusing, or at least too complicated to setup or display what it does?

Indeed, I see something confusing, and It's your statement... :biggrin: I barely understand your point. Maybe you don't get what I mean. Or maybe It's my English.

The alternate dial assignment is fine as it is. It's a great feature. But the fact (see Repp answer) that you have to reactivate it after each shot is stupid.

An option to lock the alternates assignments until pressing again the function button will do the trick. In a way like a classic AF/AE Lock function, which can be locked for more than one shot, or just while pressing the button.

I don't see any over complicated or confusing setup in that.

tesilab

New to Mu-43
Indeed, I see something confusing, and It's your statement... :biggrin: I barely understand your point. Maybe you don't get what I mean. Or maybe It's my English.

The alternate dial assignment is fine as it is. It's a great feature. But the fact (see Repp answer) that you have to reactivate it after each shot is stupid.

An option to lock the alternates assignments until pressing again the function button will do the trick. In a way like a classic AF/AE Lock function, which can be locked for more than one shot, or just while pressing the button.

I don't see any over complicated or confusing setup in that.

I was responding to the suggestion that the redundant dial be programmable without the temporary assignment, since it was stated that it was a waste of a dial for most modes.

Oruf

Mu-43 Rookie
Ok. So maybe the quotations marks for the world permanently were not enough. I'll edit to be more accurate. But I am not suggesting anything "without the temporary assignment" like you said.

tesilab

New to Mu-43
Ok. So maybe the quotations marks for the world permanently were not enough. I'll edit to be more accurate. But I am not suggesting anything "without the temporary assignment" like you said.
My error was that I meNt to respond to Repp. He was the one who complained about both disks being assigned to the same function.

Latest threads

Top Bottom