1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about GX7 focus modes

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by stw, Mar 31, 2014.

1. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Good afternoon,

I really need learn my GX7 better than I have. For the most part, I've left defaults as they are, including the focus mode. I've gotten many pictures that I am happy with, but I've also gotten several that are not quite there due to focus being a touch out of whack.

This picture is a good example of when it doesn't quite focus on the area I would prefer.

Olympus 45mm @ f/1.8
    P1020282.

You can see that his face is a bit out of focus. I have tried using the tap to focus/shoot on the screen, which works well, but I haven't gotten used to doing that every time and don't know if I want to use that all of the time. It seems a little cumbersome.

Which focus mode would give me the best results for shots like this? Do you have any other tips or tricks for me? There is a lot to learn!

2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I almost always use center focus and recompose if I need to. If I am shooting people I normally turn face recognition on. My G5 highlights where the focus zone in when you depress the shutter half way. I'd think your GX7 does to, so you can tell where the focus is going to be before you take the picture.

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    1. Select the Q Menu (Fn1) button on the camera back
    2. Scroll to AF Mode, and select Pinpoint (+)
    3. Focus (half-press shutter & hold), recompose and shoot

I have my GX7 always set to Pinpoint focus mode, but if you want to shoot using Face Detection, in the AF Mode menu, select Face Detection, and shoot.

Additionally, I use the AF/AE Lock button on the camera back to autofocus, leaving the shutter release to just release the shutter without it autofocusing. By using this back button AF, the camera can correctly expose for the recomposed image. To set this up:

1. Go to Menu, Custom Setting, AF/AE Lock
    2. Select AF Lock
    3. Within Custom Setting, go to Shutter AF, and turn OFF

Another neat feature of the GX7 is the Half Press Release. A slight touch of the shutter release activates the shutter. This reduces the vertical shake of the camera that can occur when pressing down on the shutter.

1. Within Custom Setting, go to page 2
    2. Select Half Press Release, and turn ON

4. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    +1

left arrow, leftmost focus mode. I was not so keen on it on the GX1, but I am under the impression that it works much better with the GX7. And if you use it a lot, I suggest you turn it on in S mode, set shutter speed to say 1/100, ISO limit to 3200 or higher, burst mode, and save it as C1. Voila!

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Center focus is what I use too, with focus hold as my primary tactic when the thing I want in focus is not in the center of the frame. IMO it's too much screwing around to use the touch screen and move the focus point. Studio portraiture work might be the exception. I have not played much with the pinpoint focus, probably because pinpoint aka spot light metering never worked well for me.

Manual focus with peaking is so easy on this body that I use that too. To check your focus when taking something like your sample, leave the camera in MF Assist mode and just bump the focus ring. The peaking will pop up to show you where the focus presently is and you can adjust it as needed. I don't use the magnification; its too distracting and the peaking seems to be the same with or without.

6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    As far as I know, pinpoint focus is separate from spot metering on the GX7. In the Q Menu, there is a separate option for metering mode.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes it is. There is no logic behind my avoiding the pinpoint focus. The reasons I didn't like spot meters have absolutely nothing to do with how/whether a pinpoint focus might be A Good Thing.

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I think I noticed that pinpoint focusing is a bit slower than focusing using a larger focus area. There is not much in it, and it is only noticeable when the lighting or focus conditions are not the best.