1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about GH2 Shutter Priority Mode

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lightbulb, Jul 8, 2012.

1. lightbulb

lightbulb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    If I dial up the shutter speed to say 4000 of a sec, by default the widest aperture will be used? How about the ISO? Auto? Or these need to be programmed?

Thanks!

2. lightbulb

lightbulb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    Thanks for the explanation. Do you mean in the case of Panny 12-35 f2.8 the max 2.8 will be used automatically? The ISO will be of course auto? This is the case of Pentax K5 btw.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I don't have the "Panny 12-35 f2.8;" however, I can only surmise that when in S Mode set to 1/4000 shutter speed, Auto ISO; the camera will set the aperture to whatever setting necessary for an optimum image depending on how much ambient light is present (in and absence of flash lighting operation).

When in low light condition, the GH2 may invariably choose the fastest (biggest) aperture and a very high ISO per that shutter speed.

When in acceptable light condition such as in the late afternoon or in a heavily-shaded area, the GH2 may choose a fast-to-moderate aperture and a moderate ISO per that shutter speed.

When in bright daylight light condition, the GH2 WILL choose a VERY slow (smallest) aperture and, VERY likely, the native (lowest) ISO setting per that shutter speed. The shutter speed display WILL LIKELY blink in a red color; indicating that too much light is sensed by the the GH2 sensor and the captured image will invariably BE greatly OVERexposed.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If it's important where the aperture falls, why not use aperture priority?

Fred

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Exactly - if DOF is critical to the image, use A mode. If motion blur is most important, choose S mode.

Or use P mode and program shift to see/choose the combination you want for the metered exposure. To shift the set of values further, choose a different ISO

Note that Panny models seem to always select a wide open exposure when possible

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What other's have already said, but to answer the question above, "No."

It MAY set the widest aperture. In fact, in most cases it probably will, but it's not guaranteed. I believe the programming will attempt to use the lowest ISO possible and then set the aperture that will give the correct exposure for the shutter speed and ISO selected, and the amount of light.

In very bright light, the camera may need to set a smaller aperture than f 2.8 to prevent over exposure. But in this case, using A mode and setting the lens to 2.8 will result in an overexposed image. This will be the same on the Pentax, btw, unless it's programmed to allow overexposed images.

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    Thanks guys! I so missed the Pentax TAv mode where I can select the Shutter and Aperture.... Anyways, I am sure there are ways to work around...

Thanks again!

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    If you want to control both Shutter Speed and Aperture, shouldn't you just use M Mode?

9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    What we lack in the gh2 is the ability to set shutter, aperture, and let the ISO be the variable. Unfortunately, when in M mode, the auto ISO option is not available and you have to specify all 3. There are actually many cases where I'd like to use that option. Another similar option I'd like is to set aperture and a min shutter. For example, this weekend I was shooting runners. I wanted min aperture for shallow dof, but min 1/1000 shutter to freeze the action. However, often it was bright enough that in S mode, it would close down the aperture. If I went to A mode, often times the shutter would be slower than I wanted. I hope the GH3 incorporates one or both of these features.

10. lightbulb

lightbulb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2012
    The Pentax TAv is widely praised by dpreview and other professionals. Just don't understand why no others take it up.

The aperture police is on you, be sure to vet through before replying lol!

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Ah, I see what he meant now! Shows you I have never used a Pentax before!