1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about G5 focusing

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dhewie84, May 9, 2013.

1. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    A couple days ago I was outside and taking some pictures of the kids in the yard. My boys were running around doing something, and I had the camera on one of them with the shutter half pressed to focus. I was keeping it there for a few moments waiting to take the picture as I followed his movement, and I noticed the camera would seemingly lose focus for a very quick fraction of a second. I didn't time it, but it was a repetitive thing happening about every 3-4 seconds. I didn't notice it affect any pictures, but it was very noticeable before taking a picture. Now usually I use the LCD, but this time I was actually playing around with the EVF. I'll have to try it again and see if I notice it on the LCD, or if I can time it to take a picture right when it happens; but I wondered if anyone else has noticed this and if it's normal. I'll have to check, but I think it's set to AFF.

2. SteveG

SteveG Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    NJ
    My understanding is that AFF attempts to keep subject in focus all the time (I believe even if the shutter isn't half pressed but someone can confirm that). If you have anything other than the single smallest focus box the camera can easily get caught trying to focus on something unintended.

The reality is that aff and caf don't work very well for mft systems yet...

3. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I really just wanted to make sure something wasn't defective. I assumed since it had a rhythm to it, that is was probably just the way the focus system worked as it's trying to keep focus. And I don't anticipate keeping the shutter depressed for long periods very often anyway, but thought I'd ask.

4. Auto focus

Take a look at page 36 of the user's guide. The G5 has a new setting called AFF which will change even though you are pre-setting the focus with the shutter. This is different than AFS, which is the traditional half-shutter-and-lock function. Are you using AFS of AFF?

5. dhewie84

dhewie84 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I forgot about this, and just did some testing. As I posted earlier, I'm assuming it must be related to the refocusing. It is in AFF. When I held the camera steady and held the shutter half way it was fine. Then if I moved the camera a little, it would lose the focus for a split second. So when I noticed it happening the other day, it must have been because of my son moving around.