Question about EVF

buffy1270

Mu-43 Regular
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this and I have also posted it on the serious compacts website but thought I would get some input here also:

Hi everyone. I purchased a Panasonic FZ150 for mainly nature photography. I have been basically happy with it performance wise. The only problem is that even with short periods of use the EVF triggers a terrible migraine headache for me and makes me feel similar to being motion sick. I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if anyone has any suggestions. Are the EVFs on the micro four thirds cameras better than on the superzooms or will this be an issue for me with all EVFs? It is bad enough that I have thought of selling the camera and moving to micro four thirds or to a compact DSLR with OVF. Any suggestions? I realize I can compose with the rear screen but I really prefer the viewfinder if possible.

Karen

EP1-GF1

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi Karen,

I wonder if this is an image stabilisation "thing". Do you use that and have you tried turning it off?

Otherwise I think the technology in the Olympus EVFs differs from that in the Panasonic EVFs. I see a sort of rainbow in the Panasonic's that I don't see in the Olympus's. I can't say that it's given me a headache but I don't tend to use them for long periods.

buffy1270

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks to both of you. I hadn't thought about it being an image stabilization thing so I will look into that. I actually have tried polarized sunglasses though and it didn't work for me unfortunately.

Real Name
Nic
You'd really need to try one out and see. The EVFs on Panasonic m4/3 cameras (the early ones at least) use a unique display method that can result in "colour tearing" when the camera is moved or your eye moves quickly. I find it uncomfortable rather than headache inducing, but bad enough that I avoid using them. I also avoid eye-level viewfinders for other reasons, but that's beside the point. The Olympus VF-2 and the EVF in the E-M5 don't cause me the same issues.

buffy1270

Mu-43 Regular
I definitely like the Olympus also and had hoped maybe to be able to go to micro 4/3 with an Olympus. I suppose I could try to rent an Olympus and see how I do with that. I didn't want to have to move up to a full-fledged DSLR necessarily but will if I have to.

Crn3371

Mu-43 Rookie
I'd venture a guess that it's The low res EVF. The spec on the Panasonic say its only 220k, whereas something like the Olympus VF2 viewfinder is 1.4M. Big difference.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Even the VF-3 is significantly better than the EVF on the FZ150. I couldn't use the Panny EVF, but the VF-3 is fine. I chose it over the VF-2 due to the lock. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom