Question about EM1 Digital Teleconverter mode with M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm 1:2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 2trululu, Dec 14, 2014.

1. 2trululu

2trululu Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Hi all, I would like to ask if anyone has tested the 12-40mm 2.8 with the option of digital teleconverter of the EM1 and if it works?

Thanks all for your responses :thumbup:

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have the L-Fn button on my 12-40 f2.8 set for the digital teleconverter and it works great. I'm using an E-M10, but it should be the same for the E-M1.

I also don't use this very much anymore because I convert all of my images from RAW, and the digital teleconverter only works on the JPEG.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 2trululu

2trululu Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Thank you very much for your reply Harvey :thumbup:

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Same here, although I often forget to turn it back off. I do have the RAW files though.

Barry

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I used it with the EM-10 and I like it. I think it is nothing more than a digital zoom with the exposure metering done on the zoomed area only.

Maybe you can get slightly better results cropping in post and scaling the image with a super-smart scaling program (Perfect Resize, etc.). But this means you need to frame the shot with the TC enabled, disable it, take the shot (or shoot raw), ecc.

With the 12-40 it is perfect to make it a short tele on the fly. If you are after the ultimate pixel level quality it is obviously not the way to go.

6. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    It works with any lens. It's no different than cropping the image in post, except you see the actual framing while you shoot. The down side is you can't recover the cropped parts in post using digital zoom in the camera.

I've never used it for that reason.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If you keep the RAW files you have the uncropped image too.

Barry

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I use it when I need that little extra. I try not to use it with higher ISO as the interpolation can be quite unsightly with the most from the sensor.