1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about EM1 and HSS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ilsiu, Sep 2, 2014.

1. ilsiu

ilsiu Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Question about EM1 and HSS

I'd appreciate if anyone who has an EM1, HSS capable hotshoe flash (FL36/FL50/FL600R/etc), manual studio strobe, and simple manual flash triggers can confirm if the pc-sync fires the flash before the shutter starts to open. The setup would be something like this:

• HSS hotshoe flash mounted on camera
    • flash set to FP manual; set to min power so flash doesn't contribute to exposure
    • wireless transmitter connected to PC sync port (you may also need a hotshoe to PC sync cord adapter)
    • wireless receiver connected to studio stobe
    • take series pictures of uniformly colored wall, increasing shutter speed all the way to 1/8000
    The reason for this request is I'm trying to find out if the EM1 can use long duration flash sync* to achieve HSS with manual strobes.

*here's a good description of long duration flash sync: http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-odin-ods-over-drive-sync/

Thanks!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have actually managed to get something like this 'hack' technique to work using optical triggering. Using an FP TTL flash (Nissin i40), I was able to optically trigger a YN-560III set to full power to expose the whole frame at over 1/1000s on the E-M5. The YN gets tricked into firing by the start of the FP burst from the i40 thanks to optical triggering, and at full power the burst from the YN is long enough to cover the whole exposure from curtain open to curtain close.

I haven't got exactly what you describe but I'm pretty sure it won't work as you've described through the PC sync port. FP flash requires 'smart' signals about when the curtain opens and when it closes, which is why FP flashes are never the single pin types. Those extra pins are needed to communicate the extra timing signals.

The PC sync port is pretty dumb, it is designed as a single shot firing signal timed for when the curtain is fully open only. So although your FP TTL flash will be getting the correct timing information, anything triggered using the PC sync port will not.

3. ilsiu

ilsiu Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Thanks - I suspected it would be a long shot. It would've been nice if the PC-sync was synced to the trigger.