Question About EM-5 AF Box Size

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by newbert, Jan 1, 2013.

1. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Just tried shooting some birds sitting on a branch (not moving) in a tree, and could not get the camera to acquire focus where I wanted it. (It was a busy foreground and background with other branches, and the bird was perhaps 12-15 feet away.) It seemed that the AF was picking up the focus of either one of the other branches or another.

Then I noticed that the AF box was rather large, so I thought that a smaller box would help. I seem to recall reading a thread or two about this (or pehaps it was just someone's wish list?).

Anyone know how to make the AF box smaller? FWIW - I was shooting with the Oly 40-150 wide open (based upon the focal length at the time), aperture priority and thru the EVF.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
  3. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
  4. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Yes, easy to make it smaller but unfortunately for bird photographers it is not small enough. A Canon AF Spot will get a small bird in a big bush while the E-M5 usually gets the twig in front. The E5 and E30 were better in this respect.

David

5. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I had the same problem the other day.I thought that the bird was in focus and took many shots and when zoomed in, i found that only some branches were in focus and not the bird.I have been doing some reading on this yesterday and found that you can make it small temporarily, meaning, once you switch off the camera, you loose the setting.

The following tip from someone on another forum helped me and I am pasting it here.Hope it helps.

"you press the button on the side of the EVF, and this brings up Live View on the LCD. Touching the lower LHS cycles you through a number of options; one of them is the focus point (pointing finger and rectangle).

As soon as that's operative, a sliding bar appears on the RHS of the LCD; moving that changes the magnification and the size of the rectangle."

and here is the link to the complete thread.

Can the focus point on the OMD made be smaller? - The GetDPI Photography Forums

6. Antonio

Antonio Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    I believe there is an easier way to change the size of the focus box: you press fn2 and turn the dial until you see the focus box magnification. You can then choose the size you want.

This will not stick once the camera is turned off but you just have to press fn2 again whenever you want the small focus box back in place.

The box becomes much smaller and you can nail you focus on the birds.

• Like Like x 1
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Don't the E-PL5 and E-PM2 have smaller focus box sizes, more in line with Canon/Nikon DSLRs? I thought I read that somewhere, along with a wish for E-M5 firmware update to deliver the same thing. But I may have imagined it...