1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about E-M10 MySets, Mode Dial & Function Buttons for adapted MF lenses. This is driving me

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by perryge, Feb 8, 2015.

1. perryge

perryge Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Perry
    Hi folks,

I have a question about E-M10 MySets behaviour that's driving me crazy. Basically, I'm trying to override the non-PASM mode dial options with custom settings for using adapted manual focus lenses, but when I assign a MySet to a mode dial, everything seems to be saved except the most important thing - custom function button settings!

I've searched the forum and have done a ton of Googling, but it's just confusing me even more so let me just lay it out and hopefully someone will know the answer.

Current button setup for AF lenses in PASM modes (I have it set to automatically magnify when I turn the lens focus ring):
    - Fn1: Back button focus
    - Fn2: Multi purpose (ISO/WB)
    - Rec: DOF preview
    - Arrows: AF point

I don't want to change the above settings for PASM as they work great for me with AF lenses.

What I want on MySets (to replace Auto/ART/Scene/Collage with M&A custom settings for adapted lenses):
    - Fn1: Magnify
    - Fn2: Multi-purpose (ISO/WB)
    - Rec: Focus peaking (because this doesn't automatically trigger when using adapted MF lenses for some reason)
    - Arrows: AF point (for magnification point)

Obviously back button focus and DOF preview are useless with adapted manual lenses, and focus peaking doesn't seem to trigger automatically when these lenses are mounted. Hence the desire to apply the above settings to specific mode dial options.

All I want to accomplish with MySets is to replace two of the useless mode dial options with the above button assignments in M and A, which would rock when using adapted MF lenses.

Is this possible? Is there an alternative way to achieve what I'm going for? Everything seems to carry over when I use the mode dials to switch to MySets EXCEPT for function button assignments, which is the only thing I really want! It's truly driving me insane.

If I could figure out how to do this the E-M10 would become almost the perfect camera.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    AFAIK, with the mode dial, you can not. If you select a MySet from the shooting menu then buttons are remapped to that mode. But if you select a MySet with the mode dial then buttons stays the same. It sucks.

3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes, that is what I have found. It really is silly. I have gone back to choosing the settings in the menu. It seems like this would be something that could be set with a firmware update.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The E-M1 has the same oddity.

Barry

5. perryge

perryge Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Hong Kong
    Perry
    Boo-urns :(

That's ok I guess. I can still save these function button mappings to MySet 1 and 2 and it works fine, just without mapping to the mode dial. Going into the menu to toggle between setting loadouts isn't the end of the world.

In fact, now that I think about it, it would actually be very confusing to set Fn button mappings to the mode dial in the way I originally wanted. I realized that MySet just loads pre-saved settings, it doesn't create a completely new "mode" for shooting. The way I wanted to do it would need to lock you into those Fn button settings and essentially create a new "mode" on the dial, which doesn't make that much sense when you think about what MySet actually does.

Still, it would be nice to have that feature. Hey Olympus, wanna give us a few "C" slots on the mode dial and create a separate function called "MyMode"? :p

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It depends on what you mean with a "new mode": the MySet saves the current shooting mode too (PASM, etc.) and the current aperture/speed and iso.
    Check out this articles:

http://www.infotor.com/blog/olympus-micro-43-customization-revisited/
    http://www.infotor.com/blog/the-mor...fine-tune-the-customization-of-my-om-d-e-m10/
    http://www.infotor.com/blog/olympus-customization-further-refinement-of-my-e-m10-mode-dial-setup/