Question about E-M1 II and SD Cards

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ijm5012, Feb 17, 2017.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I have some questions about the E-M1 II and the use of SD cards, that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

I'm aware that on the E-M1 II, only slot 1 is UHS-II compatible. I'm also aware that video can be recorded to one card, and stills to the other. My question is, has anybody tested it to prove that Cinemak 4K video can be recorded to a U3 UHS-I card?

It should be possible, because U3 UHS-I cards guarantee a minimum write speed of 30 MB/s, or 240 Mbps, and the C4K codec the E-M1 II uses has a max bitrate of 237 Mbps, so in theory a U3 UHS-I card should be able to handle any 4K video the E-M1 will record.

My question is, has anybody done this, tested C4K to a U3 UHS-I card in card slot 2, and can confirm it records without issue? If so, then my plan would be to record RAW images to a UHS-II card slot 1, and 4K video to a larger capacity (i.e. 128GB) UHS-I card in slot 2.

Thanks in advance.

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Just want to bump this up to see if anyone can confirm that C4K can be recorded to a UHS-I U3 card without issue.

3. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    I can give you a qualified yes. I've recorded a little bit to a Sandisk 95Mbps, Type I card and belive that's a U3 card. The qualification is I've only shot a very few short clips so far, maybe half a dozen each maybe 15-20 seconds in length. I just got the cam and have been focusing on still so far. But it at least didn't barf on those little tests.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I can also confirm. One of the first video shoots I did had various clips from a few seconds to around 5 minutes. The only cards I had at the time were UHS-1, and it recorded fine. The internal buffer on the camera compensated.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1