1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question About Choosing The Right Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by UkrainianOne, Dec 2, 2011.

1. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Hey Ladies/Gents,

I was wondering if you all could help me choose a reasonablly "good" flash for under $100.00 for my G1. I already have one but it is very old and doesnt come with many features like the new ones have such as a remote trigger option. Im not really looking for a fancy one, just one that I can use either remotely or camera mounted in conjunction with my 3-point lighting setup. I normally do not use a flash as a part of my photography but have noticed that it is almost required as the days get shorter and the parties and photo shoots get longer. If you can link add a link to the flashes that you guys suggest, it would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you all for your time!

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What do you mean by a remote trigger option? You're using a G1, so you don't have wireless TTL like an Olympus body would. Besides wireless TTL for the respective brand of the flash, the only remote trigger that would be built into a flash is a dumb slave. This can be accomplished just as well with an optical eye or peanut slave (an optical eye will fit on any flash under the flash foot, a peanut slave requires the right port which some older flashes such as the Vivitars have). Any other type of remote trigger (ie, like Radio, PC Sync, etc.) is also independent and will work with just about any flash.

• Like Like x 1
  3. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    What I meant is that the flash itself would have a input jack where you can attach a remote or wireless trigger so that it can be mounted on a tripod seperatly from the camera but in sync with it.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I see. :) You should consider investing in flash shoe adapters instead. They'll work on any hotshoe flash, and provide you with the sync port you need.

What type of triggers do you use, and what form of plugs do you have? That will help immensely in helping you find the right outfit...

• Like Like x 1
  5. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I was looking at this trigger:

NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger/Rec | eBay

But again I want to make sure my G1 is compatible with a wireless trigger flash like this, I know most of them are universal but I dont know too much when it comes to flashes or flash photography, hence why Im turning for advice

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This will work with your G1 along with any digital-spec flash (newer flash with less than 12V trigger voltage, most are less than 6V). There is no need for any special plugs, as the receiver can be mounted directly to your flash foot and will attach to any regular 1/4" tripod screw or shoe mount (ie, like a cold shoe adapter placed on a light stand).

• Like Like x 1
  7. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York

That is my intent to put it on a lightstand with this adapter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UDMLSM/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

now that i have the trigger that i want, the more important question is what is the best suitable flash for this type of set-up, I will be using it in conjunction with a reflective umbrella

8. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Ohh, And Ned, Thank you for your help

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Holy carp... $1.75? My local camera stores sell those damn things for $35-$60. :mad: I should know, I have enough of them in my studio and bags... bought at that price.

Only problem is your $100 budget. :) Even an old used Vivitar 285, not even the HV type, sells for $100 in my town. The cheapest I've paid for a used FL-36R was $150, and the same for a used FL-50 (non-R, which is half the price of the R). Full-sized OEM flashes sell for at least $600 new and $300 used, with half-sized OEM flashes selling for about $300 new and $150 used. You can buy some new off-brand flashes like Metz or Nissin for about $150 or more. I have found some archaic beat-up flashes (ie, like old rentals, etc.) which I've purchased for as cheap as $50 (ie, like I once landed a pair of Canon 540EZs for $50 each - but they were rentals and heavily used. I further used them until their deaths).

If you're buying OEM then the Olympus FL-50R and Panasonic FL500 are comparable to the Nikon SB-900 or Canon 580EXII. These are all in the ~$600 range. The Olympus FL-36R and Panasonic FL360 are comparable to the Nikon SB-600 or Canon 430EXII (though admittedly, the Oly/Panny versions are slower to recycle since they only use 2 batteries instead of 4). These are all in the ~$300 range.

Since you are using remote triggers, the brand of the flash DOES NOT matter... as long as you don't get anything made for the Sony/Minolta Alpha line. That's the one exception that uses a different sized hotshoe (pre-Alpha Minolta was still standard). What does matter is the trigger voltage. Some old flashes made for film cameras may have a trigger voltage over 12V, which will be too much for your receiver (and it would fry your camera if you mounted it there). For those flashes you would need a Safe Sync, but for the price of a Safe Sync you'd probably be better off to find another deal on a newer flash. If you were using PC Sync it would be different, as you could sync all your old flashes off of one Safe Sync using PC splitters, but you would be wired instead of wireless.

My suggestion would be to scour your town for used camera markets or stores and find some old slave units from Vivitar, Sunpak, etc. Or look on eBay, and maybe add Metz and Nissin to your search.

Also don't forget the thrift stores... If you're going to get a super-fab deal it'll be there, because they don't know the value of these things. I once bought a flash at a Salvation Army thrift store for $5... a brand new slave unit. I also have another slave unit that I received for free from the old man at my local camera exchange. It needs to be cleaned up before I use it, because it has corrosion in the battery compartment. I always have my eyes open for new lights, as there never seems to be enough when I need them (and they do get busted or break down too often during shoots). I try to keep at least half a dozen on hand, with my minimum being 4.

• Like Like x 1
  10. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I have a SOLIGOR MK 24ASII STROBE FLASH, its so ancient and rare that you cant even find pictures of it via google.com lol. But it works like its new.. It takes 4 AAs and weighs as much as a brick and looks like a black brick as well. It works ok for its age but is over-powering sometimes in a small room / limited space, hence why i wanted to upgrade to a more modern flash... and yes that adapter is awsome for only 1.75 plus the 5 bucks for shipping, If you told me that it cost 30 - 60 dollars then i would never buy such a thing, so you should stock up on them and sell them to your camera shoppe lol. Here is a picture of my current flash

14mdpgj.
    24axxg2.

11. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Some of my experiences.

Try Yongnuo 460...not as powerful, but they have slave mode and may be powerful enough for you for $40.

• Like Like x 1
  12. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    This may seem like a dumb question and obvious answer but i have to ask, why they heck do sellers and website alike list flashes under a certain brand or compatibility with a certain camera when they all fit the same hot shoe? Take the Yongnuo 460 you suggested, its listed under about 10 different brand compatibilities, yet its obvious that it would fit any camera since they all have the same universal hotshoe mount on the top of the camera.

Seperatly, Like I was telling Ned, Im trying to mount this flash onto a lighting tripod and bounce it off, or through as you have posted on your linked thread post, an umbrella, and also I know that G1's have no wireless capabilities what so ever which lead me to the wireless hotshoe mount from cowboy studios...

Ive been looking at these flashes recently:

can you please tell me if they compatible with what I am trying to accomplish:

flashes - Walmart.com

13. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    i have a question: i have a canon speedlight 430ex and e-pm1. the flash has a slave function.
    can the e-pm's radio control trigger it? if so, does anybody know how to set it up?
    thanks

14. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
  15. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    No, that's for a Canon. All cameras may have a standard size hotshoe but each manufacturer configures the pins differently so you can't interchange them. You need a flash that's compatible with Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds - they ARE interchangeable.

16. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Ok Thanks, for some reason, its stuck in my head that Most flashes are universal, i have checked this and many other forums that say you can use a Olympus flash on Panasonic cameras but dont know if it is true, thank you for the clarification!

Becuase the flash linked above is advertised at wally's world as fitting Oly cameras:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivitar-Power-Zoom-DF-383-Flash-for-Olympus-AF-DSLR/16203552

Also

It says it is compatible on this website:

http://www.pcdistrict.com/reviews/category/camera-flashes-376-self-page8.html?1_sort_by=name

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Canon flash will work with your Cowboy Studio radio triggers, with no TTL.It will not work with any TTL function, whether through a TTL cable, direct hotshoe mount, wireless TTL, or Pocket Wizards (which are Canon ETTL compatible). If you're using generic radio triggers, then you must be prepared to shoot with manual flash settings. Flashes are made for specific brands only for TTL and Auto Shut-off functions, but without those functions they are largely interchangeable (the exceptions being the high trigger voltage of old film-era flash, and the smaller hotshoe size of the Sony/Minolta Alpha system).

• Like Like x 1
  18. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    So basically what you are saying is, stop being cheap, and if I want to take nice portrait shots that i should get a Panasonic specific flash so that it works better with the camera instead of just a remote flash?

19. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Never ... stay cheap but be prepared to do manual flash work. TTL is never done on the cheap.