1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about buying from buy.sell section

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Solomite81, May 24, 2013.

1. Solomite81

Solomite81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2013
    Hello from Indiana! Im new to this forum. I am currently in contact with a seller with a great deal which I found from the buy/sell section. I have never purchased from this forum, so Im a little skeptical I might not get what is advertised or lose money. Please let me know buying experiences from the sellers from this forum. Greatly appreciated.

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    First, check his feedback score and if he's been here a while. I've bought and sold quite a few lenses here and every experience has been a straight dealing. Most of the regulars here are good people!

3. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I've bought and sold here as well as at FredMiranda.com... not had any problems. However, I just got a flash meter I bought off of eBay and it didn't work. I was able to fix it (corroded battery terminals). Totally misrepresented in the ad as working. You need to be careful.

My suggestion would be to get references, most people have sold stuff somewhere. Also, use only standard Paypal... not Paypal Gift. You have some protection with regular Paypal, nothing with gift.

Good Luck,
    Gary

4. Solomite81

Solomite81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2013
    So paypal does cover transactions from this website.

5. Solomite81

Solomite81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2013
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The way I understand PayPal's Purchase Protection is that it covers just about any purchase between two individuals (provided you use don't use the "gift" option when making the payment). That said, I've never had occasion to use it for any transaction at this website (or anywhere else for that matter). You may wish to consult the Terms and Conditions and user agreement posted on the PayPay site.

I've never had any trouble doing business with anyone on this forum, but you need to investigate each seller with due diligence and make the determination for yourself as to whether you feel comfortable with the transaction.

7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Paypal will "judge" a dispute over anything bought with there system and claimed as payment for goods or services within 45 days of the transaction. Seeing as talking to them in person is probably harder than talking to the pope, there judgements are probably formulatic ( is that a word?).

8. Solomite81

Solomite81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2013
    It seems that just sending money via paypal to an individual seller is not covered under paypal's protection??? Number 3 requirement is not met??? Please see below

To be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:
    1. Pay for the eligible item from your Account.
    2. Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.
    3. Send the payment to the Seller through:
    3a. the eBay “Pay Now” button or the eBay invoice; or
    3b. the “Send Money” button of your Account by selecting “eBay Item” and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay website; or
    3c. the Send Money tab on the PayPal website, by clicking the “Purchase” tab, or by selecting the “Checkout with PayPal” button or otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a Seller’s checkout flow.

Open a Dispute within 45 Days of the date you sent the payment, then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution. For Pay After Delivery transactions you must open your Dispute within 45 Days of the date of your transaction.

Have an Account in good standing.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Doesn't 3c apply? Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer.

10. Solomite81

Solomite81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2013
    I guess your right! I guess I will try my first buy :) from this forum, the seller seems genuine. Thanx everyone! Much appreciated.

11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's like buying anything else from an individual over the internet forum. See if it's a long time poster, ask/check references, photos, etc. See if the seller is possibly local to you and you can do the deal in person.
    But, in the end, if not comfortable sending a lot of money this way, maybe better to buy from a store.