1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Question about battery and date/time that's driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by meggie t, Mar 6, 2012.

1. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Hi All,

So, this is probably a basic question but I can't seem to figure it out. I have an E-PM1 and whenever I take the battery out to charge, I have to reset the date and time. Really annoying!! Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting I have missed or is this just the way it is? I can't imagine it has to be like this!

Thanks in advance!
    Meggie T

2. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Meggie, I just got an E-PM1 and tested it right now. I took the battery out, waited a few seconds and then popped it back in. Date and time was still working correctly.

Do you leave the E-PM1 empty while charging the battery? I don't know what the "intended" behavior of the E-PM1 is if you leave it without a battery for an extended period of time.

Perhaps get a second battery? (I would recommend you get a spare in any case!) You get can cheap no-name ones off Amazon.

3. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Ah, maybe that is the problem. Yes, I do leave it empty when I am charging, so usually overnight. I do have a spare, which I have never used, so I will charge that up and put that in while I charge the original.

Thanks so much!

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    If I take mine out, and even instantaneously re-insert it, the date still resets. So unless you have micro-fast hands...I don't see a way around this (unless we both are missing something that starlabs figured out).

5. Vreeke

Vreeke Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2011
    Utah
    EPL3 date time

I have the same problem but on a EPL3. Even when the battery is removed for a moment it blanks out the time and date. I assume there is a small battery that is charged for this purpose or is the reset normal for the EPL3.
    Can this battery be replaced or is it a warranty item?
    I have done a search on this subject with no results for the EPL3.
    Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before.

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Both my E-P3 and E-PM1 remember the date if I turn them off, take out the battery, leave it out for a couple of seconds, and then re-insert the battery. I imagine it would behave the same for the E-PL3.

If your camera always resets the date, sounds like there is something wrong with your copy. If it's still under warranty, give Olympus service a call. If any of you do call, let us know how it goes! Good luck.

7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I just googled & found a thread over on dpreview with people having the same issue...someone called olympus and they asked them to send their camera in. such a hassle....I think I'd rather just live with the inconvenience.

8. Vreeke

Vreeke Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2011
    Utah
    Question to Olympus on time reset

If anyone is interested correspondence with Olympus about time reset.

Question:
    I have a new EPL3 and when I change the battery the date and time resets
    and needs to be reset. Even when the battery is removed only for a moment
    it needs to be reset.
    Is this normal?

Olympus:
    We value you as an Olympus customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with this situation.

All of our cameras have a mechanism that holds power to keep that information even while a battery is not in the camera. Generally, it can last for a few days at most before discharging and losing the information. If the battery was out for less than approximately three days (as you said you experienced this after removing the battery for only a moment) and you lost that information, there may be something wrong with the mechanism that stores the power for this purpose. If this is the case, unfortunately, your camera will need to be sent to our repair facility for further evaluation. You also have the choice of returning or exchanging it where you purchased it if you're still within that time frame. If you're outside the return/exchange time, or would just prefer for us to evaluate it, the repair instructions may be downloaded from the following web address:

Question:
    Is there any other impact to the camera if I do not have this repaired. Does it affect other functions? I can live with the time being reset
    but if it has other negative affects to the operation than that may be something to consider.

Olympus:
    It should not affect any other settings. If you notice that it does, definitely send it in. I also need to correct myself, after more careful reading of the manual to answer your second question, the date and time will usually reset after approximately one day without the battery. What you were describing is still not what would be considered normal.

9. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    I am having the same problem if I leave my battery out overnight while charging.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What you're experiencing is just normal behavior Terri, although some cameras won't forget for a couple days. Nonetheless, you should get a second battery. Trust me, besides avoiding this problem it will also make your life infinitely easier to have at least one spare to keep in the bag. You will never have to worry about having to charge your battery after every use just to ensure you have a full battery for your next use. Just keep using your battery until it dies, because you know you have a fresh one with you to swap it out with whenever it decides to go, wherever you may be. Then that old battery goes on the charger whenever you get back home and your shooting remains uninterrupted.

As for the problem with the E-PM1 and E-PL3 forgetting the date as soon as the battery is removed for an instant, this seems to be a very common problem unfortunately. :( For me it's one out of two E-PM1s which does this. It's an inconvenience and I have also asked about it only to find out that my only recourse is to send it in. I personally decided to hold off and live with the inconvenience for now, but I may send it in eventually. After all, I do have 3 PEN bodies (two of them Minis) so it shouldn't inconvenience me too much to have one Mini out, lol... If I only had one body or even if I was down to just two, I'm sure it would never get sent in.

11. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Thank you all so much for the great info. I charged up my spare and had the battery out for no more than 30 seconds and the date/time still reset. Really annoying but if my only recourse is to send it in, I will just deal with it.

I appreciate all the help!!

Meggie T

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wish I could get 30 seconds on mine, lol! If you can leave your battery out for 30 seconds, then your simple solution is just to get a spare battery. Charge the one that you have out, leave the one you have in.

On my camera, the moment I remove the battery it forgets the time/date meaning that a spare can't even prevent that.

13. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I wish I could get 30 seconds too! Mine is wiped instantly. :(

14. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    When I said 30 seconds, I meant immediately. Sorry, should have been more specific. I do have a spare - when I charged it and tried to change out the other battery, date/time was immediately wiped out.

15. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    While it might nit be a solution, if you have an android or iphone something like gps4cam could help you out a bit. It's mainly for geotagging. Start it up when you start a shoot, kill it at the end. When you kill it, it puts a qr code on your phone screen. Snap a pic of the code and run it through the camera, and it when it geotags it also updates the time/date taken with the time/date from your phone, assuming it wasn't reset in the middle of a set. It helps me if i forget to reset the time zone. If you were into geotagging, you could just forget about resetting and let the app do it for you.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

16. Terri

Terri Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2012
    I ended up returning my month old EPM-1 that developed this problem. If I took out the battery and put it right back in, the date and time settings were gone. I called Olympus and they told me to send it in for repair, but I returned it to Amazon instead. I should be getting a new one tomorrow. Hope it doesn't have the same problem.