Question about autofocus

I currently use E-P5 and E-PL7/8. My understanding from reading the manual is that in Sequential Shooting, the camera will focus before each exposure if Sequential Shooting mode is Low. My question is: does this work in AF-S as well as AF-C or only in AF-C? Many thanks for any help.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
According to the E-P5 manual, in S-AF and MF modes, auto focus and exposure are fixed with the values from the first frame. Not sure if the E-PLx models are different but the E-P5 does not appear to even mention focusing between frames anywhere in the manual that I see.

According to the E-P5 manual, in S-AF and MF modes, auto focus and exposure are fixed with the values from the first frame. Not sure if the E-PLx models are different but the E-P5 does not appear to even mention focusing between frames anywhere in the manual that I see.
@PakkyT, I owe you thanks and two apologies. Thanks for taking the trouble to look at the manual and reply to my question. Apology #1: sorry for not replying to your kind reply for so long, and apology #2 for posing a poorly-remembered question. Some time ago I looked into whether the camera would focus before each exposure when in sequential mode and I was unable to definitely answer the question. I must have looked in the E-PL7 manual and not the e-P5 manual. I should have looked in both manuals before posting my question. Again, sorry about that.
In the E-PL7 manual it says with regard to the Sequential Low setting:

"Photographs are taken at about 3.5 frames per second (fps)
while the shutter button is pressed all the way down. Focus and
exposure are fixed according to the options selected for [AF
Mode] (P. 69) and [AEL/AFL] (P. 93)."

So presumably there is a difference in behavior in Sequential Low between S-AF and C-AF.

On page 69, the relevant paragraph is,
"C-AF The camera repeats focusing while the shutter button remains
pressed halfway. When the subject is in focus, the AF confirmation
mark lights up on the monitor and the beep sounds when the focus
is locked at the first and second time.
Even if the subject moves or you change the composition of the
picture, the camera continues trying to focus."

Since in sequential shooting the shutter button is pressed all the way (and not half-way) it would seem that focusing would only happen before the first shot in the sequence, in which case this would be no different from S-AF and so the statement that "Focus and
exposure are fixed according to the options selected for [AF
Mode] (P. 69)"
would be meaningless.

I tried to determine whether the camera does in fact focus before each exposure in Sequential Low when AF is set to AF-C, but my results where ambiguous.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom