Quest for a new adventure camera has led me here...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rpringle, Jan 15, 2014.

1. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Hello all,

I've been reading over the forums for awhile now and have thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyone's images, incites, and opinions. I'd like to pose a question that has been debated to death all over, EM-5 vs E-P5. Now before you close this thread in disgust I'd like to tell you about the pictures I like to shoot and the way I photograph. I mostly do landscape, wildlife, astrophotography and documentary. I have been an avid DSLR owner since my first which was a Nikon D50. I now have owned the D7000 since it released and enjoyed the weather sealing, heavy construction and fast focus for my wildlife and sports shooting.

However I have been trying to find a good light weight alternative to my DSLR and perhaps replacement at some point. Enter the E M5 I bought used last month, I have been shooting with it a lot and I really enjoy it. I have been shooting with the 20mm f1.7 and for most things it's been great. I did however run into the high ISO banding with some night shooting so I wanted to replace it with the Oly 17mm f1.8, but the $499 retail was a lot for me to swallow. So again an ebay search revealed an E P5 kit with VF4 and 17mm F1.8 for about $300 less than retail. The seller claims it's brand new in the box. I am receiving it friday and hopefully the seller was being truthful. I had expected to sell the E P5 and VF4 to offset the cost and effectively get the lens for about half the normal retail price but I have been in a dilemma as to whether I should maybe sell the E M5 instead?

It's difficult for me because I have often wanted to shoot my lenses outside wide open but couldn't because I did not have a ND fitler on me and the E M5's 1/4000 limit. I would also enjoy the time lapse function albeit limited to only 99 actuations. The peaking mode interests me as I have quite a few legacy lenses and find myself straining my eyes with the E M5's 2x zoom function. However on the other side I think I would also miss the weather sealing on the E M5 seeming I live in New England and make trips to Southern and Western US. I find myself climbing up rocks, under waterfalls, over streams, and so on to get my shots and find the weather sealing gives me a sense of security. Although i don't own any weather sealed lenses for any of my cameras so perhaps it's a false sense of security. I have also enjoyed the sleeker looks of the E M5, I find the VF4 a tad bulky looking and the plastic construction doesn't inspire me.

What I'd like to know is you're opinions given this information as to which camera body might be best for my shooting style. I know it's best to use both and make a decision from there but seeming I don't have the E P5 in yet I'm interested to see your thoughts. I have seen many reviews that seem to favor the E P5 because it has some features above the E M5 and it's the new flagship pen model. Has anyone tested the Pen's in cold, snow, rain, humidity, dry desert conditions? I'm wondering if the weather sealing is a gimmick as some have said or a feature that's a must have for outdoor shooters. I don't yet own the 12-50mm so again none of my lenses are weather sealed at the moment.

Thanks and excuse the long and overly detailed post.
  2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I'd shoot with both for a while and see which you like better. The E-M5 magnification for shooting with legacy glass can go all the way up to, I think 14x, which is too much; I shoot with 5x and 7x all the time.

But if you have them both, why not use both to decide which is a better fit for you.
  3. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I have found that I can't get the normal magnification to work on legacy lenses WITH the IBIS on half shutter press. If I add the normal magnification to a Fn button I can enlarge it to focus but when I do a half shutter press to enable IBIS it goes back to normal view. I ended up adding the 2x digital teleconverter to my Fn button instead as it works with IBIS or is there another way to do it? I have a hard time focusing with no IBIS especially on lenses over 100mm.