1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Query regarding GX7 EVF size

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by snerkler, Apr 29, 2014.

1. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm wondering how big the EVF on the GX7 is compared to the EM10/EM5 at 3:2 ratio?

I'm thinking of getting either the GX7 or EM10 but cannot find anywhere that stocks the GX7 to try it. I know that in the specs the GX7 EVF is bigger, but also know that it's at 16:9 and when you change it to the native 4:3 it's actually smaller than the EM10 (or EM5 as that's the same as the 10). However, I've not seen any info on how big the EVF of the GX7 is in 3:2, logic tells me it will be a bit bigger than 4:3.

I know how big the EM10 looks in 4:3, would the GX7 in 3:2 be comparable in size? I wouldn't really want to go much smaller than the EM10's size. Also, if I shot the EM10 in 3:2 would it make it slightly wider in the viewfinder, or would it crop the top and bottom off to make it 3:2?

Cheers.

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I tried it on my GX7 EVF and yes, 16:9 is largest, 4:3 is smaller, and 3:2 is pretty much exactly half way between the two.

I expect that the magnification sizes are
    0.70x for 16:9
    0.53x for 4:3
    0.59x for 3:2

The M10 I do not have to hand, but guessing, based on it being a 4:3 viewfinder that is 0.57x for 4:3, I would say it will be 0.57x for 3:2 also. (and also 0.57x for 16:9 BTW)

3. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    That's great thanks. Based on this then the GX7 at 3:2 should be marginally bigger than the EM10 which was adequate.

Thanks again.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    To my eye the E-M5 EVF looks very different to the GX7 EVF.
    They are both good, and the GX7's doesn't look much smaller to me, and it seems to have richer colour detail, but that could be the setup on the day I tried it.
    At 3:2 I have no clue : to purposefully not use the full sensor isn't my cup of tea so I've never tried it.

5. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks. I just prefer the look of photos in 3:2.

6. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I tried them side by side in store. Without looking at the specs they felt identical in size/resolution to me but the EM10 had the slight edge. It didn't seem to flicker as much and seemed a bit brighter.

7. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks. That's quite interesting as I found the EM10 flickered quite a lot, although that was under fluorescents to be fair.

8. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    I finally got to try the GX7 today, and chose to buy the EM10 instead. Here's why I didn't get the GX7, despite the temptation of the free 20mm f1.7 lens.

The grip felt a bit brick like and didn't fit naturally in my hand, kind of reminded me of when I was looking at buying he D7100 but found that a bit brick like too. Also, despite the EVF being sharper it looked too contrasty to me so not as easy to see if that makes sense, especially dark objects. For example, I was obviously in a camera shop an there was a lot of black cameras about, they looked more solid black without being able to see all the shapes and edges compared to the Olly (and my A77). I did find the EVF of the olly slightly bigger in 4:3, and it looked bigger than the Panny when the Panny was in 3:2, but that might have been my eyes deceiving me.Either way, there's very little in it.

The other thing that put me off the panny was the control dials, they felt very ratchety and not smooth to operate. Maybe these free off with time, I'm not sure and didn't want to risk it? Finally, despite other reviews I've read, and the spec sheets, I found the Olly AF'd quicker.

The above is all very nit picky, and the GX7 is a great camera, but the cameras were so close I had to be very judgemental. Hopefully I've made the right choice, time will tell.

Thanks for the help.

9. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Enjoy your new camera!

10. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The ergonomics of a camera are very important. I have sold or traded several otherwise excellent cameras because of ergonomics. Enjoy your camera.

• Like Like x 2
  11. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    GX7 EVF is often terrible out of the box for colour, brightness etc, once I had found out how to adjust it and got it to match the screen view it has been excellent. As for AF did you use the 20mm on the GX7? And what was on the Oly? Certainly grip is a huge factor for everyone as we are all different, me I found the Oly bodies terrible to hold, the GX7 was much better especially one handed, the G5 and my old G2 were some of the best for natural comfort in the hand.

• Like Like x 1
  12. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I agree moccaman -- the EVF does need adjustment out-of-box.

13. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Yes was going to add you could probably have adjusted the gx7 EVF. Anyway I came to the same conclusion - the em10 EVF felt a little better in quick tests in store. The big mistake I made was trying the em1. That EVF is a big improvement and made me want a camera the size/price of the em10 with an em1 EVF- maybe in a few years!

14. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks guys :)

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Oh I'm sure everyone wants this ;

• Like Like x 1
  16. bn54

bn54 New to Mu-43

May 2, 2014
    The GX7 viewfinder is specified to be 2.76 M dots (only a marketeer could invent dots instead of pixels!). I also believe the viewfinder aspect ratio is 16:9 so that would be 1280 x 720 pixels. I have a GX7 and when taking stills it appears to use all the (720) pixels in the vertical direction to display a 4:3 image, so it must use 960 of the pixels horizontally to display 960 x 720 pixels (2.07 M dots).

The E-M5 and E-M10 (and Lumix G3, G5 and G6 for that matter) have viewfinder resolutions of 880 x 600 pixels (1.44 M dots).

So that all seems to indicate that the GX7 has a higher effective resolution when displaying 4:3 stills than the E-M5 or E-M10. It certainly seems even clearer than the display on my G6 (which is good), which has the same resolution as the E-M5 and E-M10.

The E-M1 and GH4 have 1024 x 768 pixel viewfinders (2.4 M dots) so are larger than the GX7 displaying stills (but about the same size for video).

Note that I don't understand your references to 3:2 images. The GX7 can be set to capture at a 3:2 aspect ratio but that doesn't use all the sensor so I never use that ratio, cropping in post instead if I need to. Have I missed something?

Anyone can let me know if any of the above is incorrect.

• Like Like x 1
  17. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    The only bit I would correct is that the GX7 EVF actually has 0.92M dots, but due to using field sequential technology this is equivalent to 2.76M.

The rest is correct IMHO.

Note that the different technology means there is a tradeoff: lower refresh rates, but better colour accuracy (wider gamut). Critics tend to focus on the occasional 'tearing' in some situations, but ignore the better colour in all conditions.

18. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I'm on my second GX7. Had to return the first one today due to horrible softness shooting at f/4.0 & f/5.6. I had this issue with the kit lens and the 20mm lens. What adjustment should I make to my EVF settings? I'm hoping this one is a keeper because i bought the GX7 because I prefer the ergonomic better compared to all the Olympus bodies. Including the E-M1. Although the GH3/4 felt the best in my hands.

Forgot to mention i prefer the Panasonic way of updating firmware and without a doubt their battery charger.

19. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    From memory you go into settings, open the screen settings, then when you look through the viewfinder it changes to viewfinder settings and you can adjust the EVF, take your eye away it reverts back to the screen adjustment. I did it months ago but pretty sure that's how it was explained to me, I couldn't work it out at first.

20. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Are you using any specific settings for the brightness, contrast/saturation, and blue and red tint?
    Or should i tweak it by eye?
    Thanks