1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Query about custom setting in G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kenc, Dec 18, 2011.

1. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    I would like to use the C1 mode on my newly acquired G3 for HDR auto bracketing and I have followed the manual to set it up accordingly. My problem is that when I return to another mode (I usually use A) and turn off auto bracketing, it seems to also get turned off in the C1 mode as well - ie, the drive mode, on which auto bracketing is an option, can't be assigned a specific option just as part of the C1 mode but has to have the same setting for all modes.

Am I doing something wrong here?

2. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Setting custom menus

It took me a while to figure this one out as well.After you set up C1, go into custom menu.The first setting on the first page is CUST.SET MEM. Click it and then click C1.The next screen will say;OVERWRITECURRENT CAMERA STATUS AS CUSTOM SET 1? Click yes.Done.

3. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    thanks, but...

...that is what I have been doing, and it isn't working for me. The detail of the bracketing is sticky, so if I set it, say, for 5 shots at 1 f stop in C1 using the Custom menu in the way you describe, then it stays that way even if I change it to 3 at 2/3 in another mode. But the drive mode - whether it is bracketing or single shot or whatever - won't stick - it is the same for all modes.

I still think I must be doing something wrong. I will try again, slowly.

4. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    settings

I can't replicate what you are doing wrong.The individual bracketing works for me.Are you returning to custom mode and setting your changes before you change your modes?
    Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

5. gsnyder87

gsnyder87 New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011
    i believe Kenc is right.

I am trying to do the same thing, I wanted to set up c1 as my HDR mode.

I set the dial to c1 and then access the qmenu to change the drive mode to bracketing.

then if you move to another mode on the dial and change the drive mode there; then it will also change the drive mode for the c1 mode.

This must be the design, the drive mode setting must be persistant across all the modes. It would be nice if the c1 mode settings would stick no matter what.

6. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Drive modes will stay set in the record menu if ,after you set them,you set them in the CUSTOM MENU.This works for me.Drive modes will be the same throughout A,P,S and and M modes,but can be individually set in the C1 and C2 modes.

7. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    With the top dial set to C1, press the menu/set button.In menu,scroll to REC.Scroll to AUTO BRACKET.Set this the way you want it.Now press Qmenu/Fn2 button.Now scroll down to C,enter Custom1 and highlight Cust.set.mem.C1 will now highlight.Click it and then scroll up to Yes,to lock in ALL your setting for C1.You can do the same for C2 and the settings will not change until you repeat these steps.Good luck.

8. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    ok, I do this...

...and it certainly gives me the settings I want in C1. But then I go back out of the C1 mode to say A, and turn off autobracketing by using the drive mode cursor key (the down arrow). Then when I go back into C1 I find that autobracketing remains turned off, and I have to turn it on again using the cursor key before I can use the detailed settings I have stored in C1. I have tried it several times and that is what happens every time. However, it is late and I am tired. I will try again in the morning. Thanks for all your help.

9. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Custom settings

Kenc,
    The fact that the bracketing setting has changed in A mode tells me that the bracketing setting hasn't been locked in your C1 mode via the Custom .set mem.
    Setting.PLease continue to try and find your way there.I wish I could make it more clear for you.
    Kenc,please post when you solve this issue.I assure you it does work the way you want it to.

10. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    maybe a semantic point...

...it's not the bracketing setting that has changed, it is the drive setting - ie, the fact that the camera does bracketing rather than taking a single shot or a high speed burst or the self timer when the shutter button is pushed. But that may be what you meant to say anyway. I will indeed keep trying.

11. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Don't worry kenc, you're not the only one who can't get the drive mode setting to 'stick' in custom modes. I've tried several times and had the same problem. For me it seems Panasonic wants us to remember to change the drive mode when needed.

12. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Ok,I see now what you are doing.If you set and lock in your bracketing,as you are doing correctly,you don't need to turn it off in the drive mode curser key as you have been doing.
    Just turn your top dial back to C1.Your settings will be as you set them up.If you change the settings through the down button it does,in fact change them for all the modes.So just change them from the top.It's quicker that way,after you set it up.
    I think this finally solves the problem.The way this wouldn't be advantageous to you,would be if you like to change to multi bracketing in,say.A mode , on the fly.
    Please let me know how this works for you.There is a chance that I am completely missing the point here.I hope not.

13. Obeaman

Obeaman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Guys, sorry to bring this up again, but it does not appear to work. That is, C1 does not appear to save the Auto Bracket Drive Mode, this is the mode that allows you to keep your finger on the Shutter button and automatically record whatever bracket set, 3,5,7 etc that you saved.
    It appears that C1 only keeps this setting as long as you do not move out of C1 and change modes. As soon as you select e.g. Aperature Priority and select a different Drive mode, eg (Single), this overides the setting in C1.
    Maybe a firmware up date is needed to fix, or if anyone has a solution please share.
    Brian

14. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Agree with Obeaman that it does not work as expected - it has been a long term frustration. It would be nice if this got Panasonic's attention for a firmware upgrade.
    While they are at it, they should also make it possible to combine the timed shutter delay with bracketing. Oh, and reverting to one press of the shutter in bracketing mode initiating the desired number of shots (this was standard in earlier Panasonic cameras.

15. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Obeaman,sevenil,
    I assure you, it does work as you want it to.That is, your bracket settings do hold in C1, no matter if you switch to A,M,S, or off.I hope someone else out there can jump in and explain this better than I have attempted to.I am able to shoot single frames in Aperture mode, then dial to C1 and shoot 3,5,7 frames with a single shutter press at all times without changing my settings.These custom modes in the G3 are one of the features that make this model so nice.

16. Obeaman

Obeaman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Hi Spinyman, thanks for responding again, I really hope that there is a misunderstanding as this setting would be very useful.
    Please confirm the following
    1) Firware version Camera 1.2, Lens 1.2 (my version)
    2)You can select C1, hold the shutter button down and get a bracketed sequence, eg 3 exposures 0,-1,+1
    3) You can then go into A Mode (Aperature Priority) change the Drive Mode to single (bracketing is now turned off) and take single images without any bracketing compensation.
    4) Select C1 again, is the Bracketing symbol displayed on the LCD?
    Thanks - Brian

17. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Hey Obeaman,
    My firmware is body 1.0,lens 1.1.I don't think this should matter.As I understand, the last firmware was for the new x lenses.But maybe?
    2. Yes I can.
    3.You must change the drive mode to single through the menu button,center of the four way controller, NOT the bottom button of the four way controller.This will change the drive mode for All the modes A,S,P,M except the modes C1 and C2.These will hold the bracketing as long as you set them via the custom menu/cust.set.mem.
    4.I don't know what symbol to look for.
    I'll try and film a little tutorial and post it on vimeo for you tomorrow.I'll let you
    know and post a link.

18. Obeaman

Obeaman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Spinyman
    I see what is happening, when you select single mode by using the centre button on the 4 way controller you are not disabling the Bracket Mode, all you are doing is going to single shot mode i.e. you have to press the shutter button for each of the bracketed shots. That is why when you go back to C1 the bracket mode is still selected.
    That is not what we want to do. We want to use C1 to do multi brackets i.e. 1 press and hold of the shutter button to make the bracket sequence, then we want to get out of Bracket Mode completely and use A mode for "normal" shots, then re-select C1 and have the Multi Bracket (1 press and hold) still avaialble. This does not work. As soon as you disable Bracketing, it is removed from C1. The only way to reactivate it is to manually select bracketing again then select C1, which of course is a waste of time, you may as well forget about Custome modes for Bracketing.
    You can see this if you locate the symbol that I was talking about. It is located at the Top of the LCD near the right side. The Symbol is a square box with a +/-, if this symbol is visible Bracket Mode is selected. If it has a B next to it, that means that Multi is selected, if it has a S next to it, that means you have single bracket selected (you press the shutter button for each shot in the bracket sequence). This is the mode that you are selecting when you use the Centre button of the 4 way controller, you are not actually turning off Bracketing. When Bracketing is turned off the Square Box with the +/- symbol will disappear from the LCD and it will not come back by selecting C1.
    Thanks anyway
    Brian

• Like Like x 1
  19. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes,Brian, I see the symbol now.
    I will post a video today,demonstrating what I cannot seem to explain properly.It does work as you desire it to.

20. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    I know this was all a while ago, but did anyone come up with a solution? I can't get the custom modes to store the drive mode and it's driving me nuts. As far as I'm concerned it renders the whole custom settings function useless.