Queen Street South (Streetsville) Part 1

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
All photos taken on December 28, 2019. My first photos to test out my new E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 that I bought on Boxing Day. I bought them to replace my C-7070 because I was planning to go on trip to Vietnam this spring to visit relatives. A 1GB xD card, and 512MB and 256MB CF cards just not enough to 2 months worth of photos, and I wanted to record video of my relatives too. And once in a lifetime trip, I figured maybe I should have the best camera and lens possible. But of course, E-M1 III (with 7.0-7.5 stops of IS!) was suddenly announced very soon after my purchase, and COVID-19 eventually cancelled the Vietnam trip anways, and I am stuck doing yet more photos of the Greater Toronto Area. So maybe I was too impatient and I bought a new camera so soon for nothing, but I'll let you guys decide.

p3776720172-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

New storefronts along Queen

p3776719898-6.jpg

Former Canada Post office, now former Dollarama

p3773545304-6.jpg

Side exit from Border MX

p3776719901-6.jpg

The glow behind Streetsville United Church

p3776719903-6.jpg

261 Queen St S. apartments entrance

p3773590596-6.jpg

Scooter and side door along Old Pine St.

p3773545306-6.jpg

Stop but no parking along Old Pine St.

p3776719904-6.jpg

Starbucks front patio (during winter)

p3776719905-6.jpg

House behind the Bell Canada office

p3773545303-6.jpg

Fresh Mart on Tannery St.

p3773545302-6.jpg

142 Queen Street South

p3773545305-6.jpg

142 Queen Street South

It was almost 6 months ago, but I remember being annoyed by the AF notification sounds, which also startled some nearby people, and I immediately disabled them. It was the same problem with my C-7070. I also found the position of the exposure compensation and F-stop dials very annoying and switched them when I got home too.

Even without the extra beeping sounds, E-M1 mk2 + 12-100mm F4 does attract quite a bit more attention/fear on the street than I am used to, and it lacks the silent mechanical shutter of C-7070, so I'll probably still use that camera occasionally for street photography. But I decided that street photography wasn't really my main focus, so these limitations don't bother me. I already knew what I was getting into with this camera.

Of course the bigger size and faux-SLR form factor might be a hurdle in other ways. I had C-5060 for less than a year and I hardly used it before I traded it in for the 7 megapixel version, C-7070. So E-M1 II is basically my second camera ever. I didn't use EVF for any of these pictures, and it's only recently that I am able to remember to use EVF even half the time. I think you get the idea. Old habits die hard.

All photos shot in RAW and processed with Capture One Pro 20.

I wasn't sure what is the standard number of pictures to start a thread here. On DPReview, they frowned upon too many photos in a post. I have 3 days of photos for this series and the photos from day 2 and 3 aren't ready anyways so I might as split it into 3 threads just in case.

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Nice pics!

FWIW I seem to recall a 10 pic limit on a single post - I think this is a forum limit rather than any kind of social-convention here. People will often just chunk up a big spread under a single thread but with multiple posts. Or spread them around other pre-existing threads (eg Urban, Street, Architecture etc etc).

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
All photos taken on December 28, 2019. My first photos to test out my new E-M1 II and 12-100mm F4 that I bought on Boxing Day. I bought them to replace my C-7070 because I was planning to go on trip to Vietnam this spring to visit relatives. A 1GB xD card, and 512MB and 256MB CF cards just not enough to 2 months worth of photos, and I wanted to record video of my relatives too. And once in a lifetime trip, I figured maybe I should have the best camera and lens possible. But of course, E-M1 III (with 7.0-7.5 stops of IS!) was suddenly announced very soon after my purchase, and COVID-19 eventually cancelled the Vietnam trip anways, and I am stuck doing yet more photos of the Greater Toronto Area. So maybe I was too impatient and I bought a new camera so soon for nothing, but I'll let you guys decide.

View attachment 828539
New storefronts along Queen

View attachment 828540
Former Canada Post office, now former Dollarama

View attachment 828541
Side exit from Border MX

View attachment 828542
The glow behind Streetsville United Church

View attachment 828543
261 Queen St S. apartments entrance

View attachment 828544
Scooter and side door along Old Pine St.

View attachment 828545
Stop but no parking along Old Pine St.

View attachment 828546
Starbucks front patio (during winter)

View attachment 828547
House behind the Bell Canada office

View attachment 828548
Fresh Mart on Tannery St.

View attachment 828549
142 Queen Street South

View attachment 828550
142 Queen Street South

Even without the extra beeping sounds, E-M1 mk2 + 12-100mm F4 does attract quite a bit more attention/fear on the street than I am used to, and it lacks the silent mechanical shutter of C-7070, so I'll probably still use that camera occasionally for street photography.
A lot of people seem to use the electronic silent shutter with this model with very good results, may be worth a try.

Nice photos as well

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Doady, welcome to this lovely forum. All refugees from DPR are welcome. I am one too.

I second the advice about posting in established threads, as more people check them regularly. It's a good way to introduce yourself to a wide audience here.

The E-M1 MkII is a very complex and competent camera, as I'm sure you have realised. The 12-100 is simply the best lens I have ever owned, and I've owned some crackers!

Enjoy your gear. Don't pine for what you haven't got - enjoy the wonderful kit you do have.

Sorry to hear about your cancelled trip. This virus has already changed the world, and there will be no going back, I strongly suspect.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I just saw the Robin Wong video both promotes the use of electronic shutter and cautions against it. I will have to keep it mind for well-lit scenes without any fast movement or artifical light. I already used electronic first curtain (anti-shock mode) for all of my E-M1 II images so far including these pictures.

I am accustomed to presenting photos together in a series, and looking at other people's photos as part of a series as well, but I keep these other threads for single images in mind.

Enjoy your gear. Don't pine for what you haven't got - enjoy the wonderful kit you do have.

Sorry to hear about your cancelled trip. This virus has already changed the world, and there will be no going back, I strongly suspect.

Honestly, it might have been hard to justify the extra cost of E-M1 III anyways, even with the 12-100mm now bundled as a kit lens. Just a bit annoyed I did not save as much as I expected after waiting 15 years.

I was also considering E-M5 III + 12-40mm F2.8, but I found the combination too front-heavy when I tried it in the store. And, of course, the 12-45mm F4 was announced soon after as well.

I did not think ahead enough about this coronavirus and I missed many opportunities because of that. But somehow I am more saddened by what is happening to other people and to the rest of world. Maybe I am one of the luckier ones so far so I have no right to complain.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom