1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quality of Olympus filters

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tuxxdk, Jun 19, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    Hi

How does Olympus' clear filters compare to eg.B+W?

Are they worth their not so small price compared to the third party competition?

I'm not getting into whether a filter serves a purpose or nor ;-)

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I can't speak for Olympus filters, but I have Panasonic multicoated protection filters on all of my lenses, and I don't get any sort of filter-induced lens flare in my images. The glass and coating are both very good, and I've never had an issue with filters stick on my lenses (though all of my lenses have plastic filter threads).

In addition to the Panasonic MC protection filters, I also have the Panasonic CPL filters, which are also excellent quality.

3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    Sounds great! I was thinking afterwards, since Olympus makes great lenses, why not filters also?

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    My 90-250mm came standard with an Olympus filter, but I replaced it with a B&W MRC, as the Olympus filter was to difficult to keep clean. In all other respects there was nothing wrong with the quality.

5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    I had a B+W clear filter on my X100S - perfectly happy with optics.

So the bet is, that the Olympus, aside from cleaning aspects, will match the B+W?

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    My thought on filters has always been that if you're going to put another glass element in front of the expensive glass you just bought, buy the best. Why spend $1000+ on a lens and try to save tens of dollars on a filter?

From my experience, that means B+W and Lee filters. There's a reason why these filters cost more than generic types, such as better glass, better materials, tighter tolerances and optical transparency.

For UV/Clear type filters, I prefer the B+W MRC Clear filter and use them on every single lens I own.

7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2014
    Denmark
    Martin
    But B+W is not cheaper, they are around the same price, around $60 a filter. But they are harder to come by, hence I saw the Olympus at the local dealer.