Quality of JJC Lens Hoods?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ijm5012, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have an Olympus 17mm 1.8 that is due to arrive on Thursday, and I want to get a lens hood for it, however I really don't want to pay $50 for the Olympus lens hood. I also don't want to go with a screw-in lens hood either. I've seen the JJC "knock-off" lens hoods, and have read that the build quality is quite good.

My question pertains to the color match between the lens hood and the lens body, particularly the black version (since my 17 1.8 is black). Does the color of the lens hood match to color of the body, or are the shades of black different between the lens hood and the lens body? I tried looking for pictures of the JJC hood mounted on the lens, but couldn't find anything.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I've not gotten the JJC hoods for any of my Olympus gear, but I have gotten them for various Fuji and Nikon lenses. They are very good quality, fit perfectly and function well.

Hope that helps a little.
  3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I got the JJC for my 45 it is perfectly fine, fits properly so it seems a decent option.
  4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have the JJC lens hood for the 45 too, fits and looks good, why pay more?
  5. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    I had a JJC lens hood for my black Oly 45mm. The color was spot on, but the sheen wasn't quite the same. Not way off, but enough for me to notice... Hood fit and worked great though, and costs a lot less than the Olympus hood!
  6. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I have the 45mm and it's plastic and fits ok, not great. I also have the 17mm and it's metal and awesome. It's pressure type though so it comes loose sometimes if i don't torque it down enough. Apologies I don't have the black but the color is ok matched not exact. Looks great together either way. I don't see anything majorly wrong with either but dont have oem to compare.
  7. mu43nik

mu43nik Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2014
    Wokingham, England
    Very happy with their 75mm and 60mm lens hoods. The Olympus versions seemed a bit of a rip off.
    The 60mm one however spends more time in the camera bag as it gets in the wat of the M10 flash.
  8. Brent D. Wilson

Brent D. Wilson Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    I have several JJC lens hoods for my Olympus mu43 lenses. Decent quality and good prices. No complains.
  9. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    I have many JJC hoods (9-18, 45, 12-42, 12-50, 60...) and never had any problems. Olympus hoods are outrageously expensive IMHO.
  10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have the oly 14-42 and 60mm JJC hoods, nothing wrong with them. I mean really looking at it even what they charge for a small piece of molded plastic is pretty outrageous but olympus are on another planet entirely with what they want for theirs :D
  11. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    I have the 75mm lens hood from JJC. Perfect. Great quality metal feel that looks and feels like a carbon copy replica of the Olympus. The black colour is ever so slightly different to the Olympus official version. But at a 50 dollar cost differential, I know where my money went...
  12. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I have the JJC hoods for the 17mm and 75mm and think they are excellent. Much better quality than I expected. A nice finish and smooth fit onto the lens. Before buying I was concerned that the screw, that you can see on the hood, was used to secure the hood to the lens directly but actually it is used together with an inner compression ring to fit to the lens.
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The JJC bayonet hood that I once had for an Olympus 45mm f1.8 was a little bit loose, but the ones I have for my 9-18mm and Canon G1X are still rock solid after about 2.5 years of use.
  14. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Slightly off-topic but worth I'm gonna say it anyway... I got the Oly 60mm version and I'm not too thrilled about its quality. It's a "sliding model" and it doesn't slide that smoothly. It also got too loose after a couple of weeks. In fact it got so loose that I had to switch it upside down since if I were to to pick up the camera by the lens shade the whole camera could fall off.
  15. Kai

Kai Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    The hood for 45mm has been excellent, no problems with it all. Don't actually remember how long I've had it, but let's say a couple of years now.
  16. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014

I have the JJC one for my Olympus 40-150 and cannot fault it, well made and a perfect fit, and a fraction of the cost of the propper Olympus version, which no one seems to stock anyway.

17. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I have their hood for the 17, it's metal and very well made.
  18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    I have 3 JJC lens hoods for my Oly 45mm, Oly 12-50mm and Oly 60mm.
    They all fit well and the black color match perfectly.
  19. Empato

Empato Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    Central Scotland.
    Very happy with my JJC hood on my black 75mm f1.8.

What i am less than happy with is the silver Olympus hood for my 45mm f1.8. It is looking decidedly tatty, with some of the silver finish rubbing off in places. I might consider replacing it with a JJC one at some stage.

Hope Olympus are taking note of this thread. Theres no need for what amounts to a sleeve of plastic or metal to cost as much as Olympus are charging, especially when JJC can do it just as well for a lot less money.
  20. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Oh also I don't have the ones the OP is asking for but as for colour matching - at least for mine - it does a pretty good job?

(excuse filthy cameras)