1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Quality of images from G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mazg, Aug 27, 2013.

1. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Hi everyone
    I purchased a G5 last week. I love the camera's size, features and menu system/ease of use. However, I'm finding the quality of the images coming out of it disappointing as they just seem to be dull and not sharp. I want to love this camera but right now I'm on the fence and the clock ticking to return it.

I have been shooting with Nikon DSLR for the past 8 years and I have some good 1.8 primes and 2.8 zooms. Am I just being unrealistic in my expectations? Typically I'd shoot in jpg mode on the D7000.

I have looked at the photos linked on this site and on flickr and mine just don't seem to be as good (IMHO), although it's hard to tell as most of the images aren't full size. I have the 14-42 and the 20 1.7, but don't see any significant difference in the quality between the two, or between raw or jpg.

This camera was a demo unit but I don't see any visible defects on the lens/camera. I've been shooting with Natural, customized to 0 contrast, +1 sharp, +1 saturation, -2 NR (I started at 0,0,0,0) but have been trying to get more sharpness, saturation and less noise on the images.

Here are some sample full size images both shot with the 14-42.
    https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9604839164_8e5edb1c6b_o.jpg
    https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/9605024992_e56d6c74c9_o.jpg
    and with the 20 1.7:
    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/9601774747_e679a7e0e7_o.jpg

Are there some other settings I should try?

2. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Do you have i-resolution and i-dynamic turned on? When I had GH2 I always shoot in Vivid to get more vibrant colour, on Olympus though I shoot in nature.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I don't have a G5, but I know that I've been very happy with the IQ from my E-PL5 and E- M5 - close to my old 5dii for most of what I do. Looking at your shots on my iPad (not ideal I know), I'd say that the shot with the 20/1.7 looks just fine (love the AE-1 BTW), but the 14-42 ones do look soft. I've no experience with the Panasonic 14-42 kit, but the Oly equivalent is a poor lens IMHO - if you go comparing it to Nikon primes.

4. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The 20mm shot looks very sharp (but with limited DOF). Maybe try a faster shutter speed for the 14-42mm shots? They're just about on the 'rule of thumb' shutter speed but, being very small and light, it can be harder to hand hold this type of kit. Failing that, you haven't accidentally changed the focus point, I suppose? There's a setting on the camera that sets the focus point to where you touch the screen, and I've turned this off to avoid changing the focus point by accident with my nose or a stray finger!

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You can adjust saturation, sharpening, contrast, and numerous other image characteristics in the menu settings. Try using vivid, as ntblowz suggests, or just increase saturation and contrast a bit. You might also try increasing sharpening a bit, if you don't post-process your images.

Panasonic tends to tune it's jpegs for more neutral results, Olympus for more punchy results. Nikon's vary quite a bit, with the more "professional" cameras producing more neutral colors, and the lower-end models much more saturated ones. I haven't used a 7000, or paid much attention to images from it, so I don't know where that falls in the spectrum.

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The G5 default JPEGs have very heavy NR applied. I don't shoot JPEG but I remember having the same disappointment when I first got it. Turn down NR as much as possible and bump up the sharpness as much as possible. I ended up having to PP the JPEG files to get the results I was happy with. But if you're going to PP might as well shoot RAW. :wink:

7. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks for the quick responses, I'll try iresolution and idynamic - they are both off right now.

Focusing was mostly face detection so I'll try the tap AF for now.

I'm definitely looking for the punchy image. I don't do much PP any more for lack of time (just a little in lightroom).

8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Dig into the menus a little (use the manual if you have to) and you can adjust the settings on the JPEG files. As mentioned before you can reduce noise reduction, add sharpness, you can also up saturation if you want and adjust contrast. You can play with these setting and probably get something you are happy with. Of course, these won't help if the focus is off or if the SS is too slow.

I just got my G5 about a week ago and I am pretty happy with it. It seems to be a good camera. It has many settings and tons of customization and I have barely scratched the surface of it.

9. Nevski

Nevski Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    mazg

I'm also disappointed in quality of photos coming out from my G5. I have kit lens and 45-150mm I got as a bundle.

I'd say majority of photographs I take come out with something wrong with them.

I have already adjusted settings in my camera to reduce noise reduction, but haven't been able to test it.

Biggest issues is about not sharp photos, similar to yours, sometimes worse. I first suspected focus issues, but with pin point focus same issues also appear. There are forum posts that suggest that from about 1/30 to 1/300 sec shutter speed there maybe a shutter vibration and in lens stabilization issues doing quirky things and taking blurry photos. I'm also experiencing similar results. Electronic shutter is not always an option.

I've also tried various holding techniques with only slight improvement, and problem not going away.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to start using camera after 30 day return window to learn about these issues, so I'm now stuck with it.

This is not to say this camera is bad, I do have some great shots, however if it didn't have blurry pictures I'd have much more better shots.

I've contact Panasonic support, and exchanging emails right now. Senior tech support asked some good questions and seem very knowledgeable, if I take it further maybe something good will come out of it, who knows.

Btw, I do feel the shutter vibration when shooting, I believe camera weight to shutter momentum is not working to g5 users favor.

1/500 sec and above are not a problem though.

10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I had shutter shock problems with my mini-pen and kit lens at SS around 1/100 till I set a shutter delay (I can't remember right off what it is actually called). Anyway, I haven't noticed that on my G5 yet. It was clear there was a problem on my mini-pen the first time I took it out and used it much. I'll try and pay attention to the settings the next time I use my G5 and see if I can take some photos with those settings and see how it goes.

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I suspect the G5 has the same shutter assembly as every other Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera excluding the new GX7. I have problems with shutter shock between 1/90 and 1/120 on both my GF2 and GH2. Above 1/120 or below 1/90 this effect is greatly diminished. This is amusing: I often get pin-sharp images shooting with Olympus 45mm lens at 1/60 or even at 1/30, but I never get sharp images with this lens when shooting at 1/100 or 1/120.

12. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    So I cranked the colour up to Vivid and can see a huge difference. I'll have to figure out my "sweet spot" for colour but natural isn't it! I'm going to try Standard and increase the saturation.

I am also seeing an improvement in sharpness - not perfect but a noticeable difference - not sure if it was the iResolution (what does that do anyway?), iDynamic (I think this is likely just the colour), tap AF or vivid mode (which is still 0 sharpness and you'd think this would be consistent across the colour modes but maybe not).

I'll fool around some more tomorrow and post another picture of my progress.

Still wondering if this is the right camera for me but I still have a few more days (14 day refund policy).

13. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    This is a G5 Jpeg out of camera, handheld. Saturation +1, Noise Reduction off.

I think it's pretty sharp and colours are punchy enough (at least for my taste). I also get the occasional unsharp or unimpressive photo out of it, but I think in my case it isn't the G5 :rolleyes:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ppeters77/8903227869/" title="P1010921 by ppeters77, on Flickr"> 8903227869_f50ea9a667_c. "800" height="600" alt="P1010921"></a>

Attached Files:

14. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013

15. 1984

1984 Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2013
    I just bought a G5, too, and here are some SOOC jpegs:

9613644060_7045695134_o.

9613643824_75bb43ea88_o.

These were both taken on 'vivid' with noise reduction off, ISO 160.

Now, here are two jpegs that were edited on my iPad in Snapseed. Posting these because the lighting situations were challenging and I think they show what the G5 is capable of (kind of big, so posting links):

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3771/9560013044_79e8c86bcf_o.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/9556918105_9d46ffc403_o.jpg

The first one, the tiger was actually in shadow, so light was low, and I was using the Olympus 40-150, which is so not a fast lens. This time, the G5 was set to 'natural' with noise reduction off, but ISO was 800. I was shocked at how sharp the tiger's eyes were when I saw the jpeg.

The second one was super, super challenging. The ocelot was shot through glass in super low light with the Olympus 40-150. G5 was set to 'vivid,' ISO 800, 1/60 handheld. Slight more post-processing on this one, but definitely still usable.

Attached Files:

16. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Yes, standard mode. Combined with +1 saturation this is sufficient in most cases, for good colours it's also pretty important to get the white balance right. (Although the auto mode of the G5 does a pretty good job...)

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Your full sized 20mmF2.2 photo of the Camera is very sharp indeed. Massive difference in quality, HOW do you not see this?? :confused:

Your photo of the family at 31mm with the Kit 14-42 lens is not sharp,
    from what I've seen over the years, beginning with the Lumix G3 shipping with the same lens, this lens can be a soft example and/or can cause blurring due to some mysterious vibration. I say it is the lens. There are some better examples of the exact same lens. you got a duffer.
    Try to borrow an Olympus kit zoom 14-42 or an original Lumix 14-45 and test side-by-side with your Lumix 14-42.

18. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
  19. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I have a G5 and I like it's IQ very much.
    I've no complaits about IQ. Most of the time I shoot in RAW+JPG mode, so I can get plenty of detail, but the JPG's that came out from the G5 are pretty sharp most of the time. When they aren't usually it's my fault.
    Colors and contrast from the JPGs in Standard mode look enough saturated to me, depending on light situations.
    I own pair of Olympus M-Zuiko lens and they produce pictures with a bit more saturated colors than the Panasonic ones.
    I don't know about the 14-42 kit lens, but I have the old Pany 14-45 kit lens and I found it to be very sharp.
    Maybe you have a bad copy...

Here's a few of my sharp pictures taken with the G5:

https://www.mu-43.com/f54/share-dragonfly-butterfly-insects-5167/index113.html#post504991

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-60mm-f-2-8-macro-image-thread-33664/index45.html#post495993

20. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013