1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Q - Olympus E-PL3 and adapted lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mosheva, Mar 17, 2014.

1. mosheva

mosheva New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2014
    Hello,

I'm new to the M4/3 and camera world ion general, I'm trying to understand what kind and types of adapted lenses I can use with my Olympus E-PL3.
    I know that there are a lot of old manual lenses that will fit with a simple converter ring but I would like to know if there is any converter ring which will allow me to use electronic lenses from DLSR cameras?

I have noticed that M4/3 native lenses for my camera are expensive (for me) so I was wondering if I could buy a used DSLR lenses (which usually sell for good price) and use them with my Olympus and preserve the electronic functionality.

I have tried to read about native / adapted lenses but I got more confused...

Thanks for the help!

2. armoredpig

armoredpig Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2013
    I know that adapters exist to adapt 4/3 DSLR lenses to m4/3 with autofocus working, however, as m4/3 cameras use a different focusing (contrast detection) system than the phase detection AF of DSLRs, the performance will be slow and probably would disappoint.

The E-M1 has phase detection points on its sensor and as I understand, the performance with 4/3 lenses is greatly improved, but still not competitive with native phase detection systems.

This is not to say that contrast detection is inferior to phase detection--they just work very differently.

3. mosheva

mosheva New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2014
    Thanks!

So I better save for a native lens if I want electronic functions or buy old manual lenses.

BTW I bought the FUJIAN 35MM lens wait for it to arrive...

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Pretty much.

The only lenses you'll get autofocus on with the adapter are 4/3 lenses, and unless you're on the E-M1, pretty much all of the interesting 4/3 lenses will focus quite slowly.