[Q] Noises in G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by thebigham, Oct 23, 2011.

1. thebigham

thebigham New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2011
    Hi guys, I'm planning to upgrade my camera. I just sold my GF1, but i'm keeping the 20mm lens. The GF1 is my first camera, it was an amazing little machine. The only thing I didn't like about it was the noises. How is the noise in the G3 compared to the GF1? Do you guys think the G3 is worth the "upgrade"??
  2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You need to give us a TON more information. What ISO were you shooting that you found noise unacceptable? Was using a tripod and turning down the ISO an option? Have you tried any noise reducing software? Do you mind posting a picture that gives us an idea? The G3 is better than previous Panasonics, but it still noticeably trails even last generation's SLRs. If you're in the habit of staying above ISO 1600, then maybe a micro 4/3 camera isn't for you.

I think the G3, despite having fewer controls, is worth the upgrade for the viewfinder. Seeing as it's on sale right now for $600, you can sell your GF1 with the G3 14-42mm lens, and you'll have yourself a solid shooting setup.
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Are you asking about the shutter noise or image noise?

The shutter seems just as loud.

High ISO image noise is much improved