[Q] In-Body Stabilization Focal Length

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ddeveryday, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Hi guys,

I have the Olympus PL5 with the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 Gen 1 lens. I was looking at the In-body stabilization setting and noticed the focal length is set to 15mm, but my lens is 20mm. Should I change it to 20mm? And also could this be why my pictures are always blurry when viewed at 100%?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1p5zvqh.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The 15 is greyed out, because you can't change it. The reason you can't change it is because the focal length for µ4/3 lenses is read by the camera and automatically set. It can only be set for manual focus lenses which don't have a CPU.

3. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    It's greyed out, but it seems like it does let me to change it. I changed it to 21mm (+3 steps only). Does it make any difference?

yGuI1W9.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It makes no difference if you're using a native u43 lens since the lens tells the body what its focal length is. You only need to set a value if you're using a non-native lens (e.g. adapted lens or a Samyang etc - something without electrical contacts between camera and lens.

5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Am I correct to assume that's also true for 4/3 lenses?

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's true for any lens that communicates with the camera body - that means all non-manual 4/3 and m4/3 lenses.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks, the basis of my question was to establish whether the 'four thirds' camera body had in-body image stabilisation, I wasn't sure from a Wiki search.

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Many of the later Olympus 4/3 had IS. Panasonic and Leica (Panasonic made) never did.

Fred

9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    So, if you have an 'older' 4/3 lens it may not communicate its focal length. Is that your take as well?
    I have a Mk II 14-54mm, and I assume it does communicate [edit: its focal length] with a M4/3 body.
    Thanks.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The short answer is any lens that supports autofocus on 4/3 communicates. So all Panasonic, Olympus and Sigma 4/3 lenses. But not Samyang/Rokinon/Bower.

11. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Once again thanks dhazeghi, yeah I appreciate that any auto focus must communicate (I suspect the system operates two control loops, the body closes the loop around the lens, and the lens itself has an inner control loop which takes as its error signal what the camera body sends via its comms link). But the point I was attempting to make is whether its too much of a generalisation to say that ALL 4/3 lenses send their focal length to the body. Reading fredlong's text above, it suggests that only the later 4/3 bodies had IS, therefore some of the older 4/3 lenses may not send the focal length as the body wasn't capable. There seems to be a break point along the timeline of the 4/3rds system where IS was introduced, and thus the lens was required to send this to the body. Just to make my self understood, I fully understand that all autofocus lenses must communicate, it's just that some will communicate focal length, and some may not, depending on where the subject lens sits on the technology curve.

12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, you're reading it wrong. Every 4/3 camera records the focal length of the lens in the EXIF tag of its image files (both RAW and JPEG). This requires the focal length to be transmitted from the lens, and is independent of stabilization. When sensor-based image stabilization was implemented, starting with the E-510, they used this information to calibrate the stabilization system. You can tell because IBIS worked with the oldest 4/3 lenses produced (which predate IBIS by more than 4 years) without any sort of updates to the lenses.

So again, all Olympus, Panasonic and Sigma 4/3 lenses communicate the focal length to the camera. You will never need to enter it manually for those. The only lenses you must enter the focal length for are those that don't communicate with the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The two Olympus m4/3 body cap lenses are not electronically coupled and DO require entering their focal lengths for IS.

Fred

• Like Like x 1