Q. for those who love the Pens but have an OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jun 13, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I forgot one OMD pre-order list I was on, and the local shop just called to say I can come get it.

I'm just not sure I want it.

For those of you who LOVED the Pens, but now have an OMD, do you find you love the OMD? If there was a Pen with the new sensor, would you dump the OMD and go back to a Pen? (let's just ignore the idea whether this will happen or not -- just work with me).
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If there were a Pen that looked like the E-P3, felt like the E-P3, weighed like the E-P3, had the sensor and IBIS of the OMD, and cost less than the OMD, I would choose it over the OMD.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I don't have my OM-D yet :frown: But I would not expect the PEN to be good enough for me. First of all, it's recently become absolutely imperative that I have a weather sealed camera that can do stills and video, as I expect the camera to get wet regularly. Second, from the diagrams of the OM-D I suspect that 5 axis IBIS will not physically fit in the PENs.
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, I love the OMD. The only thing about it I thought I might NOT like was the EVF - other than that its EXACTLY what I've been hoping for in an m43 camera body. And it turns out the EVF doesn't bother me - its not in my way like the ones on the G3 and GH2 are, sticking back so far off the back of the camera. The OMD is more than small enough, I like the controls BETTER than the EP1/2/3 and I liked those a LOT, but I like the dual dials on the top of the camera even more. The IBIS is insane. There's just nothing not to like. I don't anticipate wanting another m43 body anytime soon, but if I did and even if there were new Pens out, I'd have to take a really hard look at them, but I might very well go for a second OMD body instead.

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Interesting question!

I was one of the people saying that I was going to wait for an updated E-P3, and then succumbed to peer pressure and GAS and bought the E-M5.

I still prefer the size of the E-P3, but now I would have a tough time giving up the top control dials and tilt screen. I think I could deal with the viewfinder being separate/modular.

For me, I think it is going to come down to owning an E-M5 *and* one of the new PENs (or maybe GX1) down the line. When I am going out shooting, I don't mind the size of the E-M5 and the viewfinder can come in handy sometimes. When we are going out to dinner, or something more casual, it would be nice to have a small m4/3 body as a compact option.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ideally, I'd keep the E-M5 and have a next-gen E-PL3 (same size with new sensor and touch screen) alongside it. The IBIS is such a standout feature on the E-M5 that I'd be reluctant to lose it (assuming that it needs the hump to fit it all in). Although funnily enough, aside from the first night that I got the camera I haven't really used the IBIS since. The weather sealing and the EVF weren't high on my list but may still come in handy one day.
  7. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    I loved my epm1...I was fully ready to wait until all the em5 hype died down before I was willing to even look at it...but I caved, and I'm so glad I did. Being a relative-noobie, I feel the em5 gives me more access to the control I need to learn. That, and the evf is genius. I've even used the flip-out screen once or twice...didn't think that would actually happen.

There's a reason why the om design was popular to begin with...it just works, and looks good to top it off.
  8. hellomrmoon

hellomrmoon Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2011
    As far as aesthetics...I thought I'd really like the silver OM-D but it's starting to look ugly next to my Pens w/leatherettes. Maybe the 20/1.7 just doesn't look good on it and it's making the body look awful to me. I wish the ergonomic grip was optional like it was for the E-P3 for a more solid OM look. Plus the external (non-matching) mini-flash? Meh

I agree with Amin's sentiments...if a future PEN had the OM-D's IBIS, sensor, and 9 FPS burst in an EP-3 body I would totally trade my OM-D.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The PENs are still some of the best looking cams (and the balance in hand is hard to beat). I don't think the PEN will ever have the 5 axis IBIS (it won't fit).

I think the PEN has likely been phased out (which I find distressing), but if they made one it was priced appropriately below the OMD, I would likely prefer it.
  10. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I really did not like the look of the OM-D when it was first previewed -- and still to this day I think it is somewhat corny to build a "penta-prism" into a MIRRORLESS design! Anyway, all of that said, I succumbed and bought one a couple of weeks ago. To say that I LOVE this camera is an understatement. Yeah, there are some things I would change if I were head of the OLY design team, but all things considered, I feel the OM-D has raised the bar significantly.

Now, if OLY releases a PEN version of the OM-D, count me in too!
  11. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'd keep the OM-D because of the built-in viewfinder, handier than a removable one and I use the VF2 viewfinder most of the time on my E-P3, because of the weather sealing which may be handy, and because I think it feels a little better in my hands than my E-P3 with the standard grip. I also prefer the control layout for changing aperture/shutter speed and exposure compensation with the 2 dials on the top of the body.

On the other hand, if I didn't have my OM-D and I had a choice between a cheaper PEN with the same sensor and IS or the OM-D and the price of the new PEN was the same as a new E-P3 at present and the OM-D price remained the same, I might well decide to get the PEN rather than the OM-D.

My point is, there's a very different decision process in deciding which of 2 new cameras to buy if you have neither than the one that is involved in deciding whether to dump a camera you have and go for a different new one. If a new PEN comes out, I'd be having to make the second of those decisions. You don't have an OM-D so you're in the position of considering the first type of decision and the question is very different.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Add an integrated EVF without the pseudo-pentaprism hump of the OMD and you've just described my ideal camera- a true digital reincarnation of the original Pen FT half frame 35. :2thumbs: I hope Olympus is listening!

WT I cancelled my pre-order of the E-M5 back in Feb. Cost was the driving factor, but form factor and looks as well. I bought and sold Panny :43: bodies twice in the last 12 months because I am just not in love with a mini-DSLR form factor/look anymore . I really love the Pens.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    One thing to note with the E-M5 (without the grip) is that it is the least DSLR-like of the mini-DSLR bodies. Actually mini-DSLR isn't quite right; it's more mini-SLR circa 70s-mid 80s.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    It does remind me a lot of my OM-1, even my long-ago Pentax ME Super; still prefer to have a :43: with an EVF but without the hump---it's more about how it looks.
  15. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Once the price settles down I'd like an E-M5 and an E-PM2.

One for the bag and one for the pocket.
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Oh, sorry. I thought you were referring to the handling.
  17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    x2 That's what happened to me as well. I thought I'd wait for an updated E-P3 before deciding on the E-M5 or the E-Px. Then, a serious bout of GAS developed after viewing all the reviews and sample photos, and I caved in. My E-P3 is now the back-up camera, staying in the camera bag most of the time. I still like the style of it better, but the E-M5 just does everything better, that there is no point of using the E-P3 as the primary. In fact, if the next E-Px doesn't have the 5-axle IBIS, or the same/improved sensor as the E-M5, I might end up selling the E-P3 for a second E-M5 body...
  18. My thoughts too. I like the E-M5, but I'm not going to buy it as an early adopter at full price.
    That said, if a Pen FT version was to come out, I'd look hard at whether I REALLY want the weatherproofing. I would much prefer the EVF in the corner.
    If the next round of PENS don't have an inbuilt EVF, I won't give them a moment's thought. I like the idea of a small second body, but I am way too cheap to buy one until my E-PL1 dies.
  19. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    No, if there was a Pen with the new sensor, I would not dump the OMD and go back to a Pen. To the contrary, I wouldn't buy a new Pen if it had the OMD sensor AND OMD jpeg processing engine. As has been mentioned in other threads, OMD jpegs are inferior to E-PL1 and E-PL2 Pen jpegs. So I will need to carry my E-PL1 with me where ever I go for the next couple years unless Olympus decides to come out with new versions of the OMD or Pen that can at least match the OCC jpeg quality of the E-PL1. I need the E-M5's superior video capabilities and associated class leading image stabilization, so I will not be selling the E-M5 either.
  20. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    After depend on EPL-1 and for the brief moment GF-1, I'm happy enough with OM-D, sure it's not a perfect camera (there are none) but any challenge I could come up can be answered by OM-D nicely. The only complaint would be the small mushy button and the fact that there's some function that we believe could be added by Olympus through firmware upgrade still missing. I also still love my trusted EPL-1, it's a tough JPEG work horse (OM-D being race horse) it's simple, the limitation already known, still have ISO 100, built-in small flash, integrated small grip, and fewer option. I don't care if Olympus would come up with another PEN or OM-D, unless it can integrated the best of PEN and OM-D together. So all I can think about if Olympus would release the real modular PEN or OM-D for next iteration.

For example why not create detachable EVF without blocking hot shoe? Detachable flip-up touch screen monitor that can be function as wireless controller for camera?
    Detachable grip with more programable function button?
    All while keeping the sensor performance relatively noise free and high DR, with fast and accurate AF single and continuously.

Do that and I will keep buying Olympus and I dont care if that will come true in PEN or OM-D.