Q about Panny 35-100/4-5.6

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
One of my main interests is shooting musical performances. These days, more and more venues either ban cameras altogether or have restrictions. One festival I attend every year has this requirement..."no detachable lens over 120mm". Super-zoom fixed lens cameras are OK, though. Previously I had used a Fuji X10 with a 28-112 equivalent zoom that was not enough reach.

I had been looking at 1" fixed zoom cameras, both pocketable (Panny ZS100/200, Sony RX100 VI/VII, etc.) and not (Panny FZ1000/2500). The Pannys are currently unavailable new anywhere, even used are hard to find and lower IQ. Even the Sony is a step down in IQ, not acceptable at over $1000 for a niche use.

Yesterday it dawned on me that I could buy the Panny 35-100/4-5.6. I use an E-M10 and have the 40-150R, but that's over 120mm. The 35-100 squeaks in as legal and would be long enough. Price is less than even the ZS100 and it's actually in stock at B&H. It seems weird to buy a lens just for one weekend a year. At least if I bought another camera, it would have some utility the rest of the year. Maybe I should just rent the lens or even the 35-100/2.8?

EDIT Lensrentals.com 7-day rental is $50, half of which is shipping.

Interested in comments about the quality of the 35-100/4-5.6 against the 40-150R, any issues using it on an Oly body, effectiveness of OIS vs. IBIS, etc.

Last edited:

Alex2

Mu-43 Rookie
I own both the Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6 and its f/2.8 brother. And I have owned two copies of the Olympus 40-150R.

I could never bond with the Olympus. The first one was very soft at 150mm, the second one had an enormous amount of purple fringing (I assume one of the lens elements was misaligned). This was on an Olympus E-M5 Mark I.

Then I purchased the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8, in 2013. I never looked back. The quality is just astonishing, right from f/2.8... It also handles super nicely. I used it on my Olympus E-M5 Mark I, and nowadays on a Mark II and on a Panasonic G9 (I just realized I activated the lens OIS for the first time eight years after I bought the lens ;-).

In 2017 I added a Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6, because I also own a Panasonic GM1, and I wanted to have a very small zoom kit. It is an extremely sharp lens, with bright colors and punchy rendering. Focusing is super fast en very reliable (and completely quiet!). I also used it a lot on the Olympus E-M5 Mark II, and nowadays I actually use it mostly on that camera, as I feel this size is perfect for the E-M5. It is a delight to use this lens, and for the money I feel it delivers a lot. I also like its way of extending (it is a collapsible lens) much more than on the Panasonic 12-32mm.

So if the aperture is not holding you back, you get a very high quality lens that handles really well, for a low amount of money!

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks Alex.

Leaning towards a rental. Assuming rental prices hold, I could rent the lens for 8 years before buying one would be cheaper. $50 to try it in the field seems reasonable.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another option is the Olympus 12-100 PRO. $105 including shipping (excluding protection as you quoted on the Panny). This gets you a fixed f4 through the range (Panny you lose another stop out at 100mm). You also get a very useable extra 12-35mm range built in so you can shoot the person standing next to you if you want without changing the lens.

The 12-100 is a bigger heavier lens, but then you are also getting a HUGE focal range and it is an outstanding lens.

Edited to add: and if you are going to rent a Panasonic I would opt for the f2.8 which is priced between the two mentioned above.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pakky,

I hear you, but it's a slippery slope! I'm sure I'd love the 12-100 (I have played with it in a store) but actually buying one is not likely. Renting one is reasonable, as long as I don't do it too often :whistling: Pro glass is just too expensive for this retiree. On the other hand, renting is a chance to see if it has potential as a walkaround lens.

Decisions, decisions... :dash2:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I hear you, but it's a slippery slope! I'm sure I'd love the 12-100 (I have played with it in a store) but actually buying one is not likely. Renting one is reasonable, as long as I don't do it too often :whistling: Pro glass is just too expensive for this retiree. On the other hand, renting is a chance to see if it has potential as a walkaround lens.
You are in Massachusetts, right? Not sure how close you are to them but www.lensprotogo.com is located in West Concord and offers pickup and dropoff of rentals for a savings on shipping costs. 7 days with the Panny 35-100/2.8 with protection is $81 ($9 less if you don't want the insurance). They also offer pickup at a number of Hunt's locations for a $10 "counter fee".

Which festival are you going?

GabCol

Mu-43 Rookie
I use the Panasonic 35-100mm f/4-5.6 on my GX7 quite a bit and also use it to shoot daytime video indoors (speaker at a podium), which is quite sharp. I can’t speak to its low-light performance, though, which would probably matter to you, so renting it at least once seems like a good idea. But is nice and lightweight, a great walkaround lens. Together with the 12-32, you’d have most of your bases covered. You should be able to pick up a used copy at a pretty reasonable price.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
That little 35-100 is a proper gem in the lens line-up.

I got it quite early when entering the M43 universe, with thoughts of getting the proper f:2.8 later on, but I havent really seen the need to shell out for that, as I have things that reaches further and if going compact, why not go full compact?

That said, I just picked up a TZ70 for a song yesterday and that one carries a zoom to the tune of 24-720mm, it needs light to perform, but the images cleans up quite nicely in Topaz. I got mine second hand for $90, with 29 shutter actuations.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Which festival are you going?

FreshGrass out in North Adams every September. Who knows why they picked 120mm as the cutoff? It's the only festival I attend that has camera restrictions. I only need longer focal lengths at outdoor events where I can't get close enough to the stages.

Arena shows...forget it, even cellphones are being banned nowadays, but I don't go to arenas any more.

I can still shoot in nightclubs and my 12, 25 and 45 primes do the job.

Thx for the tip about lensprotogo.com, I'll check them out. It's only 30 minutes to Concord.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Who knows why they picked 120mm as the cutoff? It's the only festival I attend that has camera restrictions. I only need longer focal lengths at outdoor events where I can't get close enough to the stages.
Just hope you don't get that one gate security guy who's active on DPR and knows all about focal length equivalence. ;)

- K

John M Flores

Super Moderator

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Quick update...

The Lumix ZS100 is available again in short supply but at full list...$700. No idea if the $300 off special price will be back. So scratch that one off my list.

I saw that KEH has a couple of EX+ 35-100/4-5.6 zooms under $190, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. A little more due diligence to do...

Thx for the feedback so far.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Quick update...

The Lumix ZS100 is available again in short supply but at full list...$700. No idea if the $300 off special price will be back. So scratch that one off my list.

I saw that KEH has a couple of EX+ 35-100/4-5.6 zooms under $190, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. A little more due diligence to do...

Thx for the feedback so far.
I bought a 35-100 4-5.6 2 weeks ago from MPB for $139 ("Excellent" condition). Their condition rating isn't as finely tuned as KEH's (i.e. I don't think they have an excellent plus rating). I haven't tried it much yet, but keeo your eyes out for one there too.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
For under $190, I would call it dilligence done, and just get on with wringing it out. No need to drag ones feet, the lens is a cracker.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Found one at Roberts/Used PhotoPro in EXC for only $160, arrives next week. That gives me a few weeks to try it out before the music festival in mid September.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The lens arrived today, despite hurricane Henri. Condition is definitely EXC, in fact it looks brand new to me...not bad for 60% off new!

One thing I can never get over, even after reading specs and looking at Compact Camera Meter is how small some m43 lenses are. For those who have never seen the 35-100/4-5.6 in the flesh check these out.

Oly 12-50 EZ left, 35-100 center, Oly 40-150R right.

IMG_0551.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oly and Panny both zoomed out to 100mm

IMG_0553.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Perfect size for my E-M10. I bet GM1 owners love this lens!

View attachment 904572

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom