Pyrénées Haute Route

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by nickthetasmaniac, Aug 29, 2013.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    If anyone was wondering where I'd vanished to (go on, I know you were :wink:), for the last month or so I've been working away at a little project I've been planning for the last 3-4 years - a solo attempt at the HRP, or Haute Randonnée Pyrénéenne.

The HRP is one of three classic full-traverses (Atlantic - Meditreanean) of the Pyrénées. While the GR10 and GR11 complete a low altitude traverse on the French or Spanish side respectively, the HRP essentially follows the highest walkable route, crossing the frontier ridge countless times and dipping in to Andorra for a few days as well. All up its about 800km long, includes over 50,000m or ascent and descent with a high-point of 2983m, and takes from 40-50 days.

I'm on day 24 at the moment and the body and gear are doing well. I wish I could say the same about the mind though...

Pic d'Orhy (2017m) - the HRP's first time over 2000m - Day 7

High-camp above Lac d'Arrious - Day 12

The Pourter de Hèche (2476m) floats on the evening mist - Day 13

The beautiful Pic du Midi d'Ossau (2884m) and evening vapour trail - Day 12

Awaiting the evening thunderstorm at the Cabane d'Aguila, clockwork in the Pyrénées-Atlantiques - Day 17

Melt-water pool below the Col des Gourgs-Blanc - Day 20

Col Inferieur de Literole (2983m), high point of the Haute Route - Day 21

The 'track' down he eastern side of Col de Mulleres - Day 22
  2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    Like the set very much and now i know why 'maniac' is in your handle:biggrin:
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Spectacular views! Stay safe and have fun, Nick!
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    What a fantastic undertaking - terrific photos - stay safe, have fun. :2thumbs:
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Wonderful photos from a wonderful trip! I've only made it to the Pyrenees briefly, but it really seemed like a walker's paradise. If you pass through the Breche du Roland, send it my regards!
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Glad to hear your alive! Good luck for the rest of the trip :)
  7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I only caught it at a distance unfortunately, but I'm sure it misses you :wink:
  8. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Now that looks like an adventure. great pictures!
  9. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    wow, that looks like an epic adventure! I'd love to do something like that one day! Great pics, too!