Featured Putting the F back into Sydney.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by saladin, Jun 13, 2017.

1. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    My wife has had a tough year with her health and we've been looking for a chance to get away for a night or two. On Saturday morning we made a snap decision to book flights to Sydney (no, don't ask the price at short notice on a holiday weekend!!), found a reasonably swish hotel with a vacancy near the harbour, farmed out the kids for two nights and before you could say "Is there room on the credit card", we were on our way!

Now, some of you might have seen from the Panasonic board that what little opportunity I've had for photography has been spent courting the G85. And with good reason, it's a great camera.

But for this trip, several factors suggested I shouldn't take the new girl. Firstly, with carry-on luggage only, I wanted to minimise the size and weight. Secondly, this really wasn't a photo trip. If I got a few, great. But it was about spending time with the lovely wife and wandering around Sydney Harbour , staying mobile and just hanging out.

As it turned out, Sydney Harbour was playing host to a night time light festival dubbed "Vivid" so we certainly didn't need to venture too far to get a festival feel, despite some rainy weather.

So I broke out the invitation to an older flame, the Oly PenF, who has sat quietly on the shelf whilst the G85 monopolised my attention. Imposing a limit on myself of just two small primes, the F takes up little room.

It also - and I found this to be important as it turned out - tends to put me in a different mindset where I'm happy taking shots "on the fly", more snappy moments than considered photography.

It's the formfactor of the F that plays a part in this for me. It just feels right to be taking impromptu street shots with a camera like this. And the much-maligned front dial, for my use, actually "made" the camera this weekend. I drifted between Mono2 and Colour 2. Instantly available on the fly, I could see what I had and was perfectly content to use jpeg's.

They certainly aren't masterpieces, but I got some shots that pleased me and I didn't unduly hold us up too much. Take a shot, flick the dial if needed, for the next one, move on. Which equals a happy wife! Everyone's a winner :2thumbs:.

I hadn't really forgotten how much I like the Pen. I certainly hadn't forgotten how much I love my wife! But the instinctive getaway was a good reminder that a weekend Effing about is quite enjoyable in, err, every way.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 41
    • Winner Winner x 13
  2. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Thanks for sharing. It was a fun trip to see Sydney in a new way.
  3. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    @saladin@saladin You say they are just 'snaps' but they are formed from years of experience concentrated into milliseconds of of image capture. Wonderful set!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    Wow. Thanks for featuring me, @barry13@barry13 . I actually stuffed up the thread title, it should be "putting the F back into Sydney" but i couldnt see how to change it.

I heartily recommend the F, the 15PL and the O-45 as a small travel set to anyone who likes the RF formfactor.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I also visited this city. Took photos on some of the same spots as you did, only with a far less capable camera and camera operator.
    Your photos are very nice.
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Nice shots. My wife visited Sydney years ago with a group of her friends. I'd love to go there myself some day. Liked the shot of the Sydney Opera House lit up like that. Very cool.
  7. Cerita

Cerita Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2017
    What beautiful pictures! Wow! Yes, the Pen F, I LOVE mine.
  8. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Of all my visits, Sydney is my favorite....thanks for the memories!
  9. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Love my Pen-F too and your photo set.
    Can you tell me where you took the image of the bird cages?
  10. KeithT

KeithT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2017
    South Africa
    Keith Temlett
    Really cool pics.
    ''a good reminder that a weekend Effing about is quite enjoyable in, err, every way.''
    Sounds like you had a fun weekend - ummm in every way.
    Good on you for taking your wife away for a weekend.
  11. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015

A little lane running off George St (harbour side of Martin Place) called Angel Place.
  12. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for that Saladin. My wife is nuts about bird cages but not with birds in them. :2thumbs:
  13. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nice set Jason, I think that's the best rendering I've ever seen of the Opera House during Vivid! :2thumbs:
  14. saladin

saladin Mu-43 All-Pro

May 29, 2015
    Thanks mate.

It was taken with the 045 and i was very pleasantly surprised at how it turned out (not to mention that the focal length fortuitously worked out well for framing, lol).

Jpeg in Color Mode 2 iirc.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Lazio

Joe Lazio New to Mu-43

Nov 1, 2013
    Gijón - Spain
    The camera Its good,
    you is better.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009