Featured Putting the F back into Sydney.

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by saladin, Jun 13, 2017.

1. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    My wife has had a tough year with her health and we've been looking for a chance to get away for a night or two. On Saturday morning we made a snap decision to book flights to Sydney (no, don't ask the price at short notice on a holiday weekend!!), found a reasonably swish hotel with a vacancy near the harbour, farmed out the kids for two nights and before you could say "Is there room on the credit card", we were on our way!

OI000032-01.

OI000035-01.

Now, some of you might have seen from the Panasonic board that what little opportunity I've had for photography has been spent courting the G85. And with good reason, it's a great camera.

OI000031-01.

OI000034-01.

But for this trip, several factors suggested I shouldn't take the new girl. Firstly, with carry-on luggage only, I wanted to minimise the size and weight. Secondly, this really wasn't a photo trip. If I got a few, great. But it was about spending time with the lovely wife and wandering around Sydney Harbour , staying mobile and just hanging out.

OI000023-01.

OI000026-01.

As it turned out, Sydney Harbour was playing host to a night time light festival dubbed "Vivid" so we certainly didn't need to venture too far to get a festival feel, despite some rainy weather.

OI000033-01.

OI000036-01.

So I broke out the invitation to an older flame, the Oly PenF, who has sat quietly on the shelf whilst the G85 monopolised my attention. Imposing a limit on myself of just two small primes, the F takes up little room.

OI000025-01.

OI000021-01.

OI000028-01.

It also - and I found this to be important as it turned out - tends to put me in a different mindset where I'm happy taking shots "on the fly", more snappy moments than considered photography.

OI000020-01.

OI000029-01.

It's the formfactor of the F that plays a part in this for me. It just feels right to be taking impromptu street shots with a camera like this. And the much-maligned front dial, for my use, actually "made" the camera this weekend. I drifted between Mono2 and Colour 2. Instantly available on the fly, I could see what I had and was perfectly content to use jpeg's.

OI000018-01.

OI000019-01.

They certainly aren't masterpieces, but I got some shots that pleased me and I didn't unduly hold us up too much. Take a shot, flick the dial if needed, for the next one, move on. Which equals a happy wife! Everyone's a winner :2thumbs:.

OI000022-01.

OI000024-01.

I hadn't really forgotten how much I like the Pen. I certainly hadn't forgotten how much I love my wife! But the instinctive getaway was a good reminder that a weekend Effing about is quite enjoyable in, err, every way.

OI000030-01.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 41
    • Winner Winner x 13
  2. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Thanks for sharing. It was a fun trip to see Sydney in a new way.

3. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    @saladin@saladin You say they are just 'snaps' but they are formed from years of experience concentrated into milliseconds of of image capture. Wonderful set!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. saladin

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Wow. Thanks for featuring me, @barry13@barry13 . I actually stuffed up the thread title, it should be "putting the F back into Sydney" but i couldnt see how to change it.

I heartily recommend the F, the 15PL and the O-45 as a small travel set to anyone who likes the RF formfactor.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I also visited this city. Took photos on some of the same spots as you did, only with a far less capable camera and camera operator.
    Your photos are very nice.

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Nice shots. My wife visited Sydney years ago with a group of her friends. I'd love to go there myself some day. Liked the shot of the Sydney Opera House lit up like that. Very cool.

7. Cerita

Cerita Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Toronto
    What beautiful pictures! Wow! Yes, the Pen F, I LOVE mine.

8. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Of all my visits, Sydney is my favorite....thanks for the memories!

9. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    Love my Pen-F too and your photo set.
    Can you tell me where you took the image of the bird cages?

10. KeithT

KeithT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2017
    South Africa
    Keith Temlett
    Really cool pics.
    ''a good reminder that a weekend Effing about is quite enjoyable in, err, every way.''
    Sounds like you had a fun weekend - ummm in every way.
    Good on you for taking your wife away for a weekend.

11. saladin

May 29, 2015
    jason

A little lane running off George St (harbour side of Martin Place) called Angel Place.

12. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    Thanks for that Saladin. My wife is nuts about bird cages but not with birds in them. :2thumbs:

13. Nice set Jason, I think that's the best rendering I've ever seen of the Opera House during Vivid! :2thumbs:

14. saladin

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Thanks mate.

It was taken with the 045 and i was very pleasantly surprised at how it turned out (not to mention that the focal length fortuitously worked out well for framing, lol).

Jpeg in Color Mode 2 iirc.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Lazio

Joe Lazio New to Mu-43

Nov 1, 2013
    Gijón - Spain
    The camera Its good,
    you is better.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009