1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pushkar and a riddle

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alf, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    After a million hours we get to Pushkar, and it's 1976 all over again (I'm not seven years old this time, though): according to your age, think Katmandu or Marrakech or Samui, all in a nutshell of town.

6355179701_0c37ed6d78_b.
    Pushkar di alfrjw, su Flickr

The lake is lovely, light getting less and less harsh.
    6355178631_b8b3ecf68f_b.

Then no light.
    6355181693_9ee5fb218f_b.

But it eventually comes back, you know.
    6355182361_33c33421ce_b.

And it's about time for breakfast, then the road.
    6355183365_848b79cfdd_b.

Oh, and find the riddle! (No exif peeping..)

• Like Like x 4
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Wonderful. Is Pushkar worth a visit for a first-timer with 2 weeks? And if so how long do you need?

3. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I think the athmosphere and the sights around the lake and in town are great. Some kids spend one month there, but they are more interested in each other than in the place :)
    It's ancient and you can feel it, for me it was worth spending a day there. If you can be there for the mela (the "Camel Fair") two days can be good.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You really can not appreciate how long it takes to get ANYWHERE in India.

Delhi to Agra is 127 miles ... it easily takes 4 hours with no major traffic problems. I have had coworkers take 8 hrs.

Delhi to Ludhiana is 201 miles ... 8+ hours on what is equivalent to an interstate highway. No way in hell you make it in the 5.5 hrs Google claims.

We took 1/2 hr or 45 min plane flights (Mumbai to Rajkot, Delhi to Ahmedabad) because driving it would have been 10 hrs.

All of these times are in private cars with local drivers. As a Westerner, you can not drive yourself. You will die. Rail might do slightly better than these times, especially over the longer distances. Bus would be worse.

Plan your time accordingly. As amazing as the sights are in India, I really can't recommend it for a vacation because you waste so much time in between "the sights". With 2 weeks, you're going to be hard pressed to see much. With 2 weeks, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, and Mumbai might be all you can do (assuming you need to start/stop in Delhi/Mumbai to have flights)

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Eeep. Maybe will have to cut back on some of our ambition. I can understand driving traffic is quite bad..how about the trains though? Were looking at overnight trains..seems like it saves on accomodations and saves time.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I didn't take any trains, we were setup to take one, but then some business plans changed and we had to drive.

When I asked about overnight trains (for the reasons you point out) my colleagues said no, it wasn't safe

7. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    @Alf-- what is the riddle? or is it a trick, instead-- I have the feeling that the well-lit scene on the lake is a longer exposure at night rather than ambient light actually increasing, but, no, I have not yet checked your exif data for the time you took the picture... I just see all those nice big reflections of the lights on the surface of the water

@phrenic-- as someone who has spent a lot of time in India (doing business, or at least TRYING to do business) I would also recommend keeping the geographical scope VERY limited for a two week visit. Times for distances quoted by tc are actually optimistic ones. There are always extenuating circumstances adding to time and slowing you down. In Mumbai, you can spend easily half a day in a steaming, stinking taxi to get from one end of the metro area to the other, or an hour to cover something like 5 km. sometimes even. All scheduled transport gets delayed; short-distance trains get overcrowded and long-distance trains can be unsafe for foreign visitors (but don't get too paranoid about that). I don't want to discourage you visiting, it is an amazing country, but highly recommend that you limit yourself to a couple of small geographic areas in a two week visit, with a flight in between them in the middle (then of course you also need to get back to Mumbai or Delhi or Bangalore for your international connection). Luckily there is a good deal of competition and good prices on national flights now, with several budget carriers.

8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Having been to India a few times, I can only encourage you to do at least one long train journey - it's a rich experience. You can even travel first class sleeper but it's not as much fun. I have never felt unsafe but i did lock my luggage to the seats. DONT drive! the roads are deadly. My two bus journeys were scary as hell!

9. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Oh, there's a pic there which is not quite :43: ..