Pushing the OMD-M1 Envelope

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MNm43, Apr 21, 2017.

1. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Every once in a while I'm reminded of just how remarkable all these systems are. Here's what happened - I was playing around with my M1 and 12-100 trying to see just how long an exposure I could take before movement blur ruined the image.

I had the camera set on electronic shutter and was shooting into a dim corner of the kitchen where we have some bottles with sharp graphics. What I didn't realize was that the electronic shutter won't go longer than 1/8th of a second. I kept stopping down the lens trying to get a longer shutter and eventually figured out the electronic shutter restriction.

When I uploaded the files to LR, I realized the camera had greatly under exposed the test shots:
    20170418-10-21-58-2.
    Not very pretty. Just for kicks I started to play with the RAW file. I pushed the ev to about +4.6, played with some of the white levels and applied some moderate sharpening and whoa:
    20170418-10-21-58.
    Honestly I find that pretty impressive. Certainly not a great photo but there is still an awful lot of photographic information there.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Sensors are so amazing nowadays. I first entered the :mu43: system because my K-7 was just as noisy as a G1 or GH1 but a lot more expensive. The next Pentax body was the lesser-spec K-x, their first with a Sony sensor - suddenly iso5000 wasn't awful and recovery from underexposure felt miraculous. While it doesn't need to be a Sony sensor to perform this magic any more, they haven't lost their touch.

3. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    For an exercise in understanding how far the technology has developed:

Set ISO to 400 (ye olde Tri-X)
    B/W mode (on the Pen-F I set it to moderate grain, mode 2)
    Turn off all IS
    Turn off all highlight/shadow highlighting
    Manual exposure mode.
    Manual focussing

This essentially sends me back to my college days . . . Might be worth a thread as a challenge.