1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Purple flare with GX7 or EM1?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GFFPhoto, Dec 13, 2013.

1. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Just curious. Anybody seeing the purple flare issue when using the 7-14 with the latest m43 bodies?

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    None with my GH3 or GX7. I don't recall noticing it with any of my older Panasonic bodies.

Mike

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I think it's been reported on the E-M1...which would make sense, it's basically the same sensor as the E-M5.

4. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    you can get 'a purple flare' with any camera and any lens....

11031329875_57700e40e5_z.

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Photo Owl: No...that's a flare in the lens. Certain M4/3 bodies (the Olympus OM-D E-M5 in particular), exhibit a weird flaring on the SENSOR (basically, I think light accidentally bounces between the sensor and the rear element on the lens, creating this).

This is a unique phenomenon not seen (at least not that I'e heard of) on other systems. While this issue is present with a multitude of lenses, it seems to be the worst with the Panasonic 7-14.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    How can it be the same sensor, the EM1 has PDAF.

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The purple flare that inflicts both the E-M1 and E-M5 is a result of a weak UV filter on the sensor. It manifests itself as slightly weird purples blobs on the image that are extremely difficult to get rid of in post. It is, by far, most noticeable with the 7-14 f4 Panasonic wide angle zoo. Here is an example...

wratten.

You can get rid of it in camera by adding a 2A Haze filter which blocks UV light.... with the 7-14 this means adding a back filter but you can add a front filter with other lenses. Here is the same shot with a Haze 2A filter attached

wratten-2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I said "BASICALLY" the same sensor. ;) The E-M1's sensor is - to overly simplify things - an E-M5 sensor retrofitted with PDAF (and they removed the AA filter). The basic architecture is the same, though. Hence why they're both affected.

9. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Why doesn't Olympus fix the weak sensor if it a design problem with the sensor cover ???

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Becasue it is not solely the sensor.

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I don't think Olympus is too worried about it and I'm not sure they think its a flaw in their sensor. It's only one lens by a competitor which is in the same niche as their own 9-18.

12. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I got some purple splotchies with the 75 the other day. Looking through the photos now. Not toooo bad, the green flares are much worse and noticeable, but they are there. Bummer