1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

purchasing a wifi card for "tethered" shooting.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kleinekeep, May 17, 2013.

1. kleinekeep

kleinekeep Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Holland
    Joey
    I'm using an g5 and i'm looking for an wifi card to trransfer mi pics directly to mi ipad as use for (semi) thetered shooting. I'm doubting between card and wether to purchase one. eye-fi and transcend (in europe sandisk eye-fi), only transfer jpg. But i mostly only shoot in RAW to be able to tweek it better later on. Can i shoot example: Raw + JPG (low) and transfer the jpg to the ipad?

And what card do you reccommend. eyfi 4g is about 30 euro and 8g about€ 55 both only in class 4 available)

Trancend 16G (class 10) ca. 50 euro an 32g about € 75.

p.s. does anyone know if the lumix link wil work with G5 and eye-fi / wifi card?

Other options for. semi thetered shooting are welcome!

2. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I'm interested in tetherd shooting in the way that I can operate the camera myself and (hope to) almost instantly view the result on a bigger screen.

I've read that the Transcend in this respect is faster then the EyeFi-solution. you can find a small movie about the Transcend here:

Transcend Wi-Fi SD Instruction Video | How To Make & Do Everything!

This sure looks to be fast, but there is no information on the file-size of the images which are used in this example as far as I know.

3. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    Eye-fi has released the Mobi, which is suppose to make setup incredibly simple. The new card establishes its own wifi connection to your iPad, iPhone, or Androiod phone to wireless transfer shots over. I think it doesn't transfer to a PC though.
    I'm going to buy one and eval the delay for the transfer while shooting raw + jpeg small.

4. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Sounds interesting... very curious to your findings....

5. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N70lbIzgu3c&feature=youtube_gdata_player]The Eye-Fi Mobi SD Card - YouTube[/ame]

6. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    At least in this video with a 5D3 shooting medium Jpeg, the transfer speed seems quite acceptable.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGHpWY5ULA&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Eye-Fi Mobi Review, Setup, and How to guide - YouTube[/ame]

7. Vague

Vague Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    I got a Toshiba flashair for my epl5, as Olympus offers a menu space to control this card. It works fine on both the iPhone and my PC (card is accessible via browser as well as an app). The sad part, however, it comes in 1 model only, 8gb class 6.

8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Another vote for the Transcend which are class 10 and I have more than enough space with a 32gb card. Unlike the Mobi Eyefi, the Transcend can talk to your computer by setting up a wifi link (as always, this workflow is only really for jpegs)-- gone are the days that I have to keep on removing my SD card. :p

9. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I bought a transcend from Amazon Tuesday, received it Thursday around noon, was picked up by UPS for return to Amazon Friday morning.

WOULD NOT work with E-M5 although a few people have gotten them to work.
    I followed 3 different tutorials, I think I got a dud. But it definitely left a sour taste.

10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Oh my, I feel for you, bro. Mine worked as well. I would give it one more go. Did you format the card before using it? I usually format all my cards but I didn't format the Transcend. Just thinking of possible reasons.

11. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Didn't format it until last resort. Followed the instruction manual to the T, followed their website, tried updating as per website, followed forum instructions and suggestions.
    Nothing would work. Gave up and returned it.

12. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    I received the Eye-Fi Mobi today.
    I tested it with my G5 sending to an Android phone.
    I am saddened to report that sometimes, transmission of the first picture sometimes takes quite awhile, I assume because it's still kinda connecting or something. After the initial shot, subsequent shoots were...

Shooting RAW + small JPEG, transmission time seemed to be about 17-22 seconds
    Shooting RAW + large JPEG, transmission time seemed to be about 18-22 seconds.
    Shooting small JPEG alone, transmission time seemed to be about 13-15 seconds.
    Shooting large JPEG alone, transmission time seemed to be about 17-25 seconds.

The delayed is too long I think for successful tethered shooting.

13. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

If the Mobi works with the G5, would be safe to assume it works with the GF3? Or is there a better option(class 10 of course) to use for the GF3?

14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Those transmission times dont sound right to me although I have never tried a Mobi card. Typically a wifi card will transmit (after the initial connection) around 1MB/sec.

So your 'RAW+jpeg' transmission times sound about right. The 'jpegs only' transmission should be about 3 seconds. I dont think anyone would try to sell a card that took 15+ seconds to transfer a jpeg.

15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well MingTyHaa doesnt make the Mobi sound too good. Eye-Fi are better known for there x2 cards that have 'push' capability. If you are 'pulling' there is quite a choice and all should work with Panasonic cameras. The Transcend seems to be both cheap and popular at the moment.

16. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
  17. battleaxe

Good to know. I take the Transcend will work with the GF3 and comes in a class 10 variant since the prices seem lower. I take the Transcend can work with Android, and making a connection would be easy?

18. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Any update on how the mobi card is working out? I'm thinking of picking one up for tethered shooting w/ an ipad where the card writes jpg + raw and only the jpgs are xfered to the ipad.

If I were to write in both formats, does anyone know approximately how many images I can get on a 8gb and an 16gb card?

19. battleaxe

Anyone know how the Toshiba Flash Air compares to the Transcend Wifi cards? On Toshiba's site I only see a 8gb class 6 card, but a google search said there is a 16gb class 10 model, which would make it comparable to the Transcend model I am looking at. Amazon only shows the 8gb, but then ebay shows a 16gb, odd. Any suggestions? Thanks.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Not that I particularly trust Ebay but my guess is that the Flashair card ships a 16GB Class 10 card. I actually have an 8 GB Flashair that is nearly a year old and is Class 8.

BTW I dont think that the Flashair is a particularly good card. It is worth using if you have an EPL5 or EPM2 becuase of the in-camera menus and compatibility with the Olympus App. Other than that the Transcend has additional functionality and is cheaper. The eye-fi does a lot more.