1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Purchased E-M5 Mk.II today...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tyrphoto, Apr 28, 2015.

1. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Went to the local Olympus company store where I purchased my E-M1 a year ago and got me the E-M5 Mk.II in black today.

I haven't shot with it as it's now night time here in Seoul, Korea but spent the past hour going thru the menus and setting it all up in the same manner as I had my E-M1 set up.

Initial impressions and random thoughts?

- Love the slightly smaller form factor and the overall solidity and density. I shoot primes on m43 and the body size and form factor is great. In black with black lenses, it's a very stealthy setup for a street shooter and a great street camera with it's blazing AF speed and accuracy. However, for those who shoot with anything like a 12-40/2.8 or larger, IMO, the E-M1 is a better fit or at least one would have to put a grip on the E-M5 Mk.II.
    - With all of the complaints about the front dial being too easy to turn, I was expecting the very worst. In actuality, it's nothing to complain about IMO. Sure, it could have been a bit tighter to turn but nowhere near as bad as I would have thought. To be honest, if they would have made the turning force tighter, I'm sure there would have been an equal number of people complaining that the knob was too tight. For the most part, I shoot in aperture priority and so I have the front dial set to change the aperture with the back dial set to change exposure.
    - Personally prefer tilting screen vs articulating screen for faster tilt access. I don't do video and aside from very rare cases where I'm doing a portrait mode shot from very low or high positions, the articulating screen is a downgrade for my needs.
    - AF speed and accuracy is same as E-M1 with brief testing. In other words, blazing fast and very accurate.
    - I've read reviews stating that there are too many custom buttons but I've set them up and they're easy to find without having to look. I have the "movie record" button changed to "ISO/WB" to have quick and easy access to change those parameters without having to resort to the 2x2 switch.
    - Camera is smaller than what pictures on the net would have you believe.
    - The battery release with only a metal tab is a backwards step over the plastic orange tab. Not a deal breaker by any means but it requires more dexterity to release the battery.
    - The included FL-LM3 flash unit is a godsend for those times you don't want to carry around a dedicated flash unit. Not powerful by any means (GN9) but with it's ability to tilt and rotate along with it's minuscule size there's no excuse not to carry a flash. For a bundled flash it's a godsend and can be great for those times you need slight fill-in light or to serve as a master for an off-camera flash.

Anyways, I'll be testing the camera out in the weeks to come and I'm already contemplating going on a 3 day vacation some time over next couple of weeks to have some fun with the camera. It seems every time I get a new camera, I go on a honeymoon vacation in order to get to know the camera.

Wasn't able to get as great of a deal last year with the E-M1 where they threw in a HLD-7 grip, extra battery along with a bunch of other stuff. This year, they just gave me an extra battery. The included battery had a 2015 date while the extra battery had a 2013 date if that's of any interest to anyone.

The store had a bunch of promotions going with bundled packages that included the 12-50 lens, either grips, 12-40 lens, etc... but since I had no interest in any of the bundled items, I ended up getting just the body. The E-M5 Mk.II along with my Fuji X100 and Ricoh GRD3 will be in my everyday bag. Next month I'll be picking up the Fuji X100T as well as possibly upgrading my Ricoh to the GR. These three cameras gives me nearly 95% of my shooting needs these days.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Enjoy your new camera. I, too, love the form factor of the mk ii. Like you, I as like the buttons with the possible exception of the HDR button which I have accidentally pushed a few times. I am curious on how you will find the mk ii alongside the Fuji X100(T). The X100 series is a camera that I have always wanted but I found that using the O17 on the E-M10 and now the E-M5 ii has satisfied my small form factor 35mm needs.

3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    They're both great cameras which is why I'm going to be upgrading my X100 to the X100T.

The major differences between the the Olympus OMDs and the Fuji X100 series, at least to me, are:

- Leaf shutter has two distinct advantages that may or may not matter to you. First, it's dead silent. Second is it's ability to have high sync flash speeds.
    - Built-in 3 stop ND filter.
    - Rangefinder styling with the EVF pushed over to the far left side. I actually prefer this for two reasons. First, it's easier to view with both eyes open with the left eye viewing your surroundings. With the smaller size of the OMDs, it's not a big issue but in any case, with the viewfinder pushed to the left, it's easier to see peripherally with the left eye (I'm a right eye shooter). Second, no nose grease smudges on the LCD. :biggrin:
    - Proper aperture ring and shutter dial along with an EV dial on the X100 series.
    - Useful film simulations which are quite excellent on the X100 series. While having or not having the film simulations isn't a deal maker or breaker, it's nice to have them, especially if you're a JPEG shooter and even if you shoot RAW+JPEG.
    - Hybrid viewfinder on the X100 series. The ability to go from EVF to OVF is the best of both worlds as each has it's pros and cons.
    - Fuji colors are outstanding, as are Olympus colors. Just different.
    - Better high ISO performance from the Fuji. Everyone has different levels of what is acceptable in terms of noise performance. For me ISO 1600 is about the limits from the OMD with ISO 3200 being acceptable in emergency cases. With the Fuji, I can push the ISO limits to 1 stop over the the OMD.
    - Ability to charge via USB on the X100T. I know some don't care about this feature but I always carry around a USB battery brick or sometimes two depending on situation to charge my iPhone and iPad. To be able to charge a camera with one of these while out and about to me can only be a good thing.
    - Although it's a fixed lens camera, there are two converter lenses of excellent quality with no image quality degradation. A wide converter (28mm) and a tele converter (50mm).

Even so, the X100 series isn't perfect.

- The X100 in any flavor has slower AF and less accurate AF than any OMD. However, with the X100T, the AF performance is quite fast and accurate, at least for my needs.
    - Write times are slower than the OMDs.
    - Tripod mount isn't aligned with the center of the lens.

The only reason I have yet to purchase the O17/1.8 is that I always carry the Fuji around with me as well. To be honest, at one point, I was contemplating dumping all my gear for the Fuji X100T along with both converters giving me a 28/35/50mm kit. Only reason I couldn't do it was that I also like shooting in 80-90mm focal length and I also love my Ricoh GRD dearly which is a 28mm focal length. Therefore, I still carry around a 3 camera kit on a daily basis and my everyday camera bag (Billingham Hadley Pro) consists of:

- Olympus E-M5 Mk.II + O25/1.8 + O45/1.8
    - Fuji X100 (soon to be replaced with an X100T)
    - Ricoh GRD3 (soon to be replaced with a GR)

This kit basically covers 28/35/50/90mm focal lengths which covers 90% of my shooting needs. I might pick up the O12/2 to round out the wide end.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    All of those are great reasons to have the Fuji X100T; well, not sure about the "nose smudges" comment. :eek: I like the O12 and I could be very happy with only the O12, 17 & 45. We have the O25 but that is attached to my wife's camera. What I like about all of the primes and the E-M5 mk. ll is the small form factor for the entire kit.

5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Actually, I like how the HDR (fn4) button is concave versus the rest being convex. It lets me differentiate between the fn4 and fn3 button. As such, I assigned the HDR (fn4) button to MF

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    This is the very reason why I bought into m43 in the first place. A small kit with excellent IQ. This is also one of the reason why I've stuck with only primes.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    First chance I got to shoot with the E-M5 II today. Nothing serious, just some test shots while out to dinner, all shot in JPEG.

With grainy film art filter:

16712170533_210d7e6a7d_b.

16709968894_3360851c81_b.

In aperture priority:

17144883368_8c25dc1cb5_b.

17144644128_b6c5208a75_b.

And lastly, playing around with the kit flash, bounced:

16709970474_e88512a4c7_b.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I wish my E-M10 had an articulating screen. :( Being able to protect the LCD screen without a screen protector is a godsend in my opinion.

9. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Wouldn't it be great if we could have a "custom factory build to order" option with the cameras directly thru Olympus? Just check off whether you want an articulating, tilting or non-tilt screen. :biggrin: