1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Purchase options

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by scottz, May 21, 2019.

1. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    At the moment I'm using, recreationally, my E-M5. I've been wanting to add a larger bodied camera to my bag. I have an old Nikon D40 and a couple of lenses so I've been looking at newer Nikons. My current budget gives me 3 options: a current production gray market body, a used previous model body from B&H (released 2 years ago) or a local used one of the same model, with a 18-55mm and a 70-300mm lens. All 3 are right around the same price. Of the 3, only the B&H purchase would have any kind of warranty. The seller of the gray market body promises a warranty through his shop but for some reason I'm leary. The local one is owned by a working portrait photographer so it's been well cared for, I just need to hear back from him on shutter count. Any advice? I'm looking at the D3500 and D3400. The differences between these 2 models seem minimal.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Just to clarify, my post isn't about the Nikon system, it's about weighing the pros and cons of gray market vs private sale used vs store used purchase.

3. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2012
    So what kind of budget are we talking about? FYI, you should be able to find a used or open box G9 for $900. The better used stores, like Roberts Camera (Used Photo Pro), offer a 6 month warranty so places like that are a good option. Private sale is also usually good, especially if you can get a copy of the original receipt so that you still have warranty coverage. Be careful with gray market. MassDrop sells gray market but I have bought from them and trust them. For gray market on ebay, read the reviews carefully.

4. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Thanks for the comment. I'm not looking for a G9.

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What is your budget? I believe that Nikon has the D3500 series body on sale at quite a low price. Costco is selling a two-lens kit for $449USD. If going used, I would avoid gray market as Nikon will not service the camera if there is a problem. APS might, but the cost of any repair relative to the value of the body may also be a consideration. I would personally consider a body that can be returned after inspection if you are not satisfied (or at least tried out before purchase). Everybody's definition of "Like New" is quite different.

Good luck,

--Ken

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I generally prefer to buy used, especially if I know I'm buying from the original owner. I think that provides the highest value. If the B&H option isn't somehow a compromise it seems good as well based on the warranty. But I guess I'd need to know more details to offer better advice.

I'm curious, are you staying with the E-M5 as well? If so, have you considered adding an E-M1 (similar size to the Nikon D3500) instead of a second system? Being budget-conscious and adding a second system don't match up very well to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.