Purchase options

scottz

Mu-43 Regular
At the moment I'm using, recreationally, my E-M5. I've been wanting to add a larger bodied camera to my bag. I have an old Nikon D40 and a couple of lenses so I've been looking at newer Nikons. My current budget gives me 3 options: a current production gray market body, a used previous model body from B&H (released 2 years ago) or a local used one of the same model, with a 18-55mm and a 70-300mm lens. All 3 are right around the same price. Of the 3, only the B&H purchase would have any kind of warranty. The seller of the gray market body promises a warranty through his shop but for some reason I'm leary. The local one is owned by a working portrait photographer so it's been well cared for, I just need to hear back from him on shutter count. Any advice? I'm looking at the D3500 and D3400. The differences between these 2 models seem minimal.

Last edited:

scottz

Mu-43 Regular
Just to clarify, my post isn't about the Nikon system, it's about weighing the pros and cons of gray market vs private sale used vs store used purchase.

So what kind of budget are we talking about? FYI, you should be able to find a used or open box G9 for $900. The better used stores, like Roberts Camera (Used Photo Pro), offer a 6 month warranty so places like that are a good option. Private sale is also usually good, especially if you can get a copy of the original receipt so that you still have warranty coverage. Be careful with gray market. MassDrop sells gray market but I have bought from them and trust them. For gray market on ebay, read the reviews carefully.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
What is your budget? I believe that Nikon has the D3500 series body on sale at quite a low price. Costco is selling a two-lens kit for $449USD. If going used, I would avoid gray market as Nikon will not service the camera if there is a problem. APS might, but the cost of any repair relative to the value of the body may also be a consideration. I would personally consider a body that can be returned after inspection if you are not satisfied (or at least tried out before purchase). Everybody's definition of "Like New" is quite different.

Good luck,

--Ken

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I generally prefer to buy used, especially if I know I'm buying from the original owner. I think that provides the highest value. If the B&H option isn't somehow a compromise it seems good as well based on the warranty. But I guess I'd need to know more details to offer better advice.

I'm curious, are you staying with the E-M5 as well? If so, have you considered adding an E-M1 (similar size to the Nikon D3500) instead of a second system? Being budget-conscious and adding a second system don't match up very well to me.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom